which camera?

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got a 2cd-2032 and a 2cd-2132 running under BI on an Intel i7 system. I now need to start expanding my system but I'm kind of at a stand still as to which cameras to go with. I've read all the recent posts of 3mp vs. 4 mp cameras and it seems the 4mp are not that much of an improvement in daylight and may be inferior at night. Both the 3 and 4mp turrets seem to have an issue with white flashes. I'm confused as to what would be the best choice.

Since I'm doing fine with the 3mp dome and bullet is there really any reason to change. I'll be using Western Region cameras bought through Hik authorized dealer.

I'm really new at this so any help would be appreciated.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know this is a real elementary question but I hoped I might at least get a little direction. Just asking which would be the most bullet proof solution for building up a system. thanks

ThePeacockRanch

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Since nobody else has replied here I will throw my 2 cents in. You should ask yourself if you are happy with the 2 cams you already have. Then determine if more of the same units will work in the locations you intend to cover. What size lenses? 4mm? Inside/outside, wireless/wired, NVR/PC etc. If you are comfortable with the Hikvision web interface for the camera settings, stick with that. Other brands will be different and may not function as you want. Cover your vital points of entry or crucial spots first then you can experiment with other cam brands or resolutions.
Read the various forums here. Use the search function. Almost everything in the IPC world you could imagine has probably already been covered.
Ask lots of questions before purchasing anything. Asking pointed questions will get many replies if you provide lots of details about your intentions, purpose and even budget.
As far as the new 4mp cams, the price is coming down and they seem to have a pretty good night image when set to 2mp resolution and no ir. But, go for what you already know would be my advice. Buy one that is different to experiment with and either use it or sell it later if it's not what you wanted. Research and questions always.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Since nobody else has replied here I will throw my 2 cents in. You should ask yourself if you are happy with the 2 cams you already have. Then determine if more of the same units will work in the locations you intend to cover. What size lenses? 4mm? Inside/outside, wireless/wired, NVR/PC etc. If you are comfortable with the Hikvision web interface for the camera settings, stick with that. Other brands will be different and may not function as you want. Cover your vital points of entry or crucial spots first then you can experiment with other cam brands or resolutions.
Read the various forums here. Use the search function. Almost everything in the IPC world you could imagine has probably already been covered.
Ask lots of questions before purchasing anything. Asking pointed questions will get many replies if you provide lots of details about your intentions, purpose and even budget.
As far as the new 4mp cams, the price is coming down and they seem to have a pretty good night image when set to 2mp resolution and no ir. But, go for what you already know would be my advice. Buy one that is different to experiment with and either use it or sell it later if it's not what you wanted. Research and questions always.
Sorry, maybe I didn't phrase my question right. I am comfortable with all aspects of the Hikvision cams and will select camera type and lens based on location. I have searched and read every post on here and that's what's got me confused. Price between 3 and 4mp is no issue, and I could certainly live with more of the same cameras I currently have.

The big question is why do I need to buy the 4mp if I'm going to get better results in 2mp setting? What am I missing here? It looks as if any of the Hik's are better at night with IR off using a separate IR illuminator, but I'd like to use the built in IR if possible. On the surface it just seems a 4mp camera should yield a better image, but without increasing the sensor size this may not be true overall.

I'm open to all suggestions on which camera and getting the best day and night performance.