Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought 4 hp elitedesk 800 g2 i5-6500 computers at a county auction for $10 each. 8gb ddr4, a 500gb hdd, and I added a small ssd to each. I was going to use them just to feed live monitors, but I loaded Blue Iris on one, and it runs really well. No AI stuff, but 9 cameras, no problem.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a graphics card unless you're going to be running AI over several cameras and want to identify many objects. These days it works pretty well over CPU for basics like Person, Bicycle, Truck, Car. If you want AI on multiple cameras (more than 2) or running custom databases identifying lots of objects eg fox, dog, cat bird etc then you might want to consdier a graphics card although you could also consider a Coral USB Accelerator TPU which costs around £60. You con't need AI on every camera, just really your point ones if using detection methods such as trip wires which are more reliable than motion and less prone to false triggers. The general work flow for triggers is detection method > AI > Trigger, so the purpose of AI is simply to reduce false alarms for most people. The exception to this are wildlife watchers.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I bought 4 hp elitedesk 800 g2 i5-6500 computers at a county auction for $10 each. 8gb ddr4, a 500gb hdd, and I added a small ssd to each. I was going to use them just to feed live monitors, but I loaded Blue Iris on one, and it runs really well. No AI stuff, but 9 cameras, no problem.
Hard to complain about that price!

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

That's a hell of a deal their!

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You got one helluva deal on that setup.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You don't necessarily need a graphics card unless you're going to be running AI over several cameras and want to identify many objects. These days it works pretty well over CPU for basics like Person, Bicycle, Truck, Car. If you want AI on multiple cameras (more than 2) or running custom databases identifying lots of objects eg fox, dog, cat bird etc then you might want to consdier a graphics card although you could also consider a Coral USB Accelerator TPU which costs around £60. You con't need AI on every camera, just really your point ones if using detection methods such as trip wires which are more reliable than motion and less prone to false triggers. The general work flow for triggers is detection method > AI > Trigger, so the purpose of AI is simply to reduce false alarms for most people. The exception to this are wildlife watchers.

Thank you for the reply. Very helpful to know this.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're welcome. Have fun but don't have too much fun. I don't want anyone's wife to be sore at me because her husband bought a government surplus tugboat.
[/QUOTE

You mean someone's "Husband" He is actually going to be very happy with me when he sees how much money I've saved us on a Security Camera System. We had a guy come by our house a couple months ago trying to sell us a camera system that they were going to install anx we just made a $59 monthly payment until its paid- the set up was going to cost $5000 .. I felt bad for the salesman because he literally spent 1½ hoursat out house talking , he just wouldn't take no for an answer. But in the end he had no choice then he cams back by here yesterday.. said he could see we still need cameras up..

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I bought a NUC PC to run BI because of it's small footprint and it doesn't make any noise. Yeah..it wasn't cheap but it's paid for now even though I'm not actually running active BI at the moment.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You're welcome. Have fun but don't have too much fun. I don't want anyone's wife to be sore at me because her husband bought a government surplus tugboat.
Just be careful what you buy. There is or was a similar site called govdeals and my BIL got burned once because the condition of the utility vehicle he bought was misrepresented so he ended up taking a loss on it.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I need to buy an Active POE Switch, can someone please tell me if there's a particular brand I should buy - that's affordable?

Gimmons

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to buy an Active POE Switch, can someone please tell me if there's a particular brand I should buy - that's affordable?
I have a Trendnet and an HP OfficeConnect. I like the HP a little better because it tells you what devices are connected, but both work well. You can get similar HP ones on ebay for less than $20. I got a pair of Trendnet switches (one POE, one not) from a university surplus auction for very little. Also a good source of monitors.