Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I need to buy an Active POE Switch, can someone please tell me if there's a particular brand I should buy - that's affordable?
I bought this one from TP-Link and it's been working well and makes no noise. One thing in particular I like is that unlike most switches the LAN ports are in the back but the link lights are on the front which works well for me because my camera equipment is in a stereo cabinet so I can view the status lights on the front without having to look at the cables which looks very clean. All eight ports support PoE power, but only a few of my connected devices need it so I've never had the switch fully loaded with eight PoE devices. Please note that my NVR has sixteen ports but only eight are PoE, so I got this switch for supplemental PoE camera ports.

In regards to monitors, I bought a 4K Samsung 32" display and use it about 16 hours per day to display camera feeds. The display just depends on what you want it to do and your budget.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Rxich

n3wb
Reaction score
That's a hell of a deal their!
The other thing to consider is the computer, ideally, should have a replaceable power supply. Many smaller PC's use proprietary power supplies, so if the power supply goes, there goes your whole machine. And Dell & HP like to save money on components, so the factory power supply is probably of poor quality. I found a used Datto NAS device, meant to be run 24/7 and it's going strong nonstop for 4+ years as my PFSense router device.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Not seeing any comments on using a laptop for BI. I'd prefer a laptop so I don't have to switch my monitor back and forth. Any advice here? Currently using an Acer laptop with ssd and external usb hard drive, but the CPU can barely handle my 9 cameras. It's an Intel i3 7100u 2.4ghz.

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
Netgear used to always be a safe choice, but like many longevity companies with formerly stellar reputations, Netgear products aren't designed as well as they used to be which is evident based on their customer reviews.
Interesting and I am not surprised. I strongly considered Netgear when I needed my POE switch but as mentioned I ended up with a ZyXel switch and I am one who always over researches stuff before I hit the buy button.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Other than over heating problem running the laptop 24/7, it will also be a lot more difficult to replace parts if the laptop breaks down compared to a desktop. Especially the screen.....
Not too worried about that as long as I keep my settings backed up for easy migration to the next refurb. This cheap Acer has worked surprisingly well. Very quiet too!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I need to buy an Active POE Switch, can someone please tell me if there's a particular brand I should buy - that's affordable?
Active? Switches are usually managed or unmanaged. Unless you have a specific need for the extra complexity, go unmanaged.

As ,for switches, I bought a cheap TP Link (£28) and despite it being a top brand, instantly regretted it as it failed very very quickly.

I replaced it with this:
Way better quality in my opinion and whilst not cheap, has solved all the issues I had. Well worth spending the extra to get Netgear and poe++ for a greater power budget.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Active? Switches are usually managed or unmanaged. Unless you have a specific need for the extra complexity, go unmanaged.

As ,for switches, I bought a cheap TP Link (£28) and despite it being a top brand, instantly regretted it as it failed very very quickly.

I replaced it with this:
Way better quality in my opinion and whilst not cheap, has solved all the issues I had. Well worth spending the extra to get Netgear and poe++ for a greater power budget.
That's a tiny Netgear switch but I'm glad it works well for you. I've never had any issues with TP-Link products and they're reasonably priced for people on a budget instead of paying more $$ just for the Netgear name.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
That's a tiny Netgear switch but I'm glad it works well for you. I've never had any issues with TP-Link products and they're reasonably priced for people on a budget instead of paying more $$ just for the Netgear name.
I could have got a larger one for £30 more. It may have been a mistake not doing so. However, I don't foresee a need for many more ports atm, and with 83w shared over all 4 ports, I should be able to use all 4 if needed and not have to worry about power, plus there wasn't much more power budget in the larger switch meaning less per port potentially, plus I think there's some advantage to having more than 1 poe if you have a large number as if it fails, you don't lose all your cameras. One final point, my switch is mounted in my garage so has to fit an enclosure.

Last edited:

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the computer I bought, I feelmlike I got a good deal since tge guy added the Purple WD 8TB. Now it's all set when it arrives and I hope i won't have to pop the hood..

You guys have been great, I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help!

I did purchase a couple Reolink 811A cameras and I was reading on their website that the POE needs to be active whatever that means. The website said that the cameras will not work on a passive POE. I went with reolink because I did read some good things about 811A cameras. I actually bought them before I knew about BI, so later on I will get a couple doorbell cameras and 1 or 2 more cameras.

I also Which PoE Injector/Switch Can I Use for Reolink PoE Cameras