Which Computer Do I Buy To Run Blue Iris On? What Do You Use?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Don't forget to consider adding UPS backup power. My entire camera system and network components have backup UPS power units so they'll still work even if the power goes out....at least for a while. The UPS units also have surge protection so it's a win-win.
Thank you for this tip.
Can you recommend one or does it need to be specific one for the computer?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is the computer I bought, I feelmlike I got a good deal since tge guy added the Purple WD 8TB. Now it's all set when it arrives and I hope i won't have to pop the hood..

You guys have been great, I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help!

I did purchase a couple Reolink 811A cameras and I was reading on their website that the POE needs to be active whatever that means. The website said that the cameras will not work on a passive POE. I went with reolink because I did read some good things about 811A cameras. I actually bought them before I knew about BI, so later on I will get a couple doorbell cameras and 1 or 2 more cameras.

I also Which PoE Injector/Switch Can I Use for Reolink PoE Cameras
Sorry, you fell for the Reolink marketing machine.
If you've got time still, I suggest you return them for something that actually works as advertised.
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/is-there-a-such-thing-as-a-camera-system-that-is-not-complete-trash-suggestions.65181/#post-692706

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection | IP Cam Talk

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Starglow

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is the computer I bought, I feelmlike I got a good deal since tge guy added the Purple WD 8TB. Now it's all set when it arrives and I hope i won't have to pop the hood..

You guys have been great, I wouldn't have been able to do this without your help!

I did purchase a couple Reolink 811A cameras and I was reading on their website that the POE needs to be active whatever that means. The website said that the cameras will not work on a passive POE. I went with reolink because I did read some good things about 811A cameras. I actually bought them before I knew about BI, so later on I will get a couple doorbell cameras and 1 or 2 more cameras.

If you have trouble getting the Reolink cameras to play consistently in Blue Iris, write to Reolink support and tell them they are not working right in BI. They will likely send you a special firmware for the camera. I have 2 reolink cameras that kept freezing in BI. With the updated firmware they are working great! Reboot the camera twice after installing the firmware. I have the poe doorbell cam and the rlc-823a.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you have trouble getting the Reolink cameras to play consistently in Blue Iris, write to Reolink support and tell them they are not working right in BI. They will likely send you a special firmware for the camera. I have 2 reolink cameras that kept freezing in BI. With the updated firmware they are working great! Reboot the camera twice after installing the firmware. I have the poe doorbell cam and the rlc-823a.
Which POE are you using for the Reolinks?

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you've got time still, I suggest you return them for something that actually works as advertised.
https://ipcamtalk.com/threads/is-there-a-such-thing-as-a-camera-system-that-is-not-complete-trash-suggestions.65181/#post-692706

What cameras would be a good choice that won't break the bank?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Which camera do you recommend that won't break the bank? That first link in your comment wouldn't let me pull the page up.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Either of those devices will supply power to a poe camera. The Moker device will supply power to multiple poe cameras.
So can I use both of them at the same time? I'm sorry I don't know anything about POE switches or poe injectors, I just know or I think I know I need one to hook up the cameras to the computer.

I am going to purchase a couple new cameras and then I will still have a reolink 811A camera I'm going to place on my patio under the roof. I'm having a little bit of a hard time wonder on which POE switch to buy .. I need something that will hold up to 8 cameras or more.

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found one on Ebay thars used but that might not be a good idea to purchase a used one, I may end up having to buy a battery for it in the end. I'm going now to purchase this off Amazon.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So can I use both of them at the same time? I'm sorry I don't know anything about POE switches or poe injectors, I just know or I think I know I need one to hook up the cameras to the computer.

I am going to purchase a couple new cameras and then I will still have a reolink 811A camera I'm going to place on my patio under the roof. I'm having a little bit of a hard time wonder on which POE switch to buy .. I need something that will hold up to 8 cameras or more.
All of your 8 cameras will be poe? As of today, I have only powered one poe camera with the Moker switch. It does have 8 poe ports listed at 30w, but also says 120w total poe power budget. I'll assume that's the max poe power it can supply. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in poe can comment on this?

Moonbeam68x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
All of your 8 cameras will be poe? As of today, I have only powered one poe camera with the Moker switch. It does have 8 poe ports listed at 30w, but also says 120w total poe power budget. I'll assume that's the max poe power it can supply. Maybe someone more knowledgeable in poe can comment on this?

Right now I will only have 3 cameras I'm going to put up and I want to get 2/3doorbells for all my doors. So that will be 5 and yes they will all be POE.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Is it too late to return the Reolinks? In addition to not playing well with BI, they are not known for night time performance with motion. Yes they give a great static image, but motion is horrible at night.

TahoeJeff

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can afford the extra $$, I would agree to go with the Netgear. I have only been running the Moker for a couple weeks. I chose to go budget for my setup. That may end up costing me in the long run. We'll see.