Which do you think performs better overall?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Between these two cams which do you think performs better overall. The Hik 2MP DS‑2CD2142FWD‑IS or the Hik 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I ? Both 2.8mm lenses.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
lol, I get it if a newbie asks this questions but this is unexpected from someone who has been here for a while and actually looks like doing this for business, but I will bite... DS-2CD2342WD-I and btw the other cam is 4MP as well.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reason I ask is I've been religiously using the Turret cams and never touched a dome. Quoting a job that needs a lower price point and the dome is cheaper than the turret..

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
They are identical in terms of IQ, except if you can mount dome without getting IR reflection and night vision isn't as critical then it will do. Small IR lights are weaker and they dim over time.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Guess I'll just stick with the turret. I'll have to figure something out. Two of the cameras will be in lighted areas. The others will be in pitch black at night.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I know you're saying the 2.8mm 2343 but I just installed a 2.8mm after working with three of the 4mm and I have to say i'm not impressed with the EXIR on the 2.8. The distance on that is really unimpressive compared to the 4mm. Granted they are different angles but judging by what is lit up, the 4mm has a noticeable advantage in my eyes. Maybe its the wider lens and not being focused on the lit area but it doesnt' appear as clear either.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Both suck with 2.8mm but turret is just better design

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
4mm > 2.8mm unless you are doing a narrow side-alley, door camera or indoor. For those I prefer DS-2CD2142FWD-IS or DS-2CD2542FWD-IS with a microphone anyway.

DS-2CD2342WD-I 4mm is better than DS-2CD2142FWD-I 4mm for most applications.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Would a 2.8 mm be totally acceptable to mount just above an entrance door just to cover that small area?. Or would any other model and lens version be a better option? ( thinking of the turret version primarily )

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Small area is the only area 2.8mm cams should be used, but a lot of folks buy these cams expecting to get great image in every outdoor setting which ain't happening.

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I take it a turret with a 2.8mm is good for the entrance to a house. I need three of them. Should I go for turret or any other model you would go for? Or make other than hik?

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
It will be fine, if you want something smaller I've used mini dome in the past as well, for 5 feet of coverage at the entrance

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So I take it a turret with a 2.8mm is good for the entrance to a house. I need three of them. Should I go for turret or any other model you would go for? Or make other than hik?

Sent from my One Plus X using tapatalk
For the entrance I'd def suggest a 4mm over the 2.8. I have both and I'm happy I went with what I did. Notice difference in facial features. I have a 4mm for the front door and a 2.8mm that kind of overlaps the front door and yard area.

Using Hik 2342 Turrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How does the 2342 compare to the dahua
IPC-HDW4431C-A for example? Pros cons. Or which model would be the equivalent from dahua? I only got a bunch of hikvision cams so far but it would be nice to try some dahua if it just as good or maybe even better. Thanks for your help

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How does the 2342 compare to the dahua
IPC-HDW4431C-A for example? Pros cons. Or which model would be the equivalent from dahua? I only got a bunch of hikvision cams so far but it would be nice to try some dahua if it just as good or maybe even better. Thanks for your help

Not sure comparative to Dahua, I only have HikVision. Hopefully someone else here could share their comparisons if they have them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok thanks anyway. What drew my attention was that it had a mic as well. Perhaps it is more a gimmick than actually useful?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I owned IPC-HDW4431C-A briefly and microphone was the best thing about it, image quality about the same as equivalent 4MP Hikvision maybe a bit worse then WDR models

badmannen

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm ok. Excuse my ignorance about Dahua here since I was indoctrinated into Hikvision from the start =D . Can I connect a Dahua with mic and get it to record properly in my Hikvision NVR or will I only get the Video working ?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't tested it, but I don't see why not, I have Longse cam with microphone and get audio in Hikvision NVR.