Which IP Camera vendor is best at firmware security?

Reaction score
I've read a LOT about security vulnerabilities in IP cameras and I don't want that shit on my network.

Which vendor keeps their cameras most secure and up to date on security patches?

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've read a LOT about security vulnerabilities in IP cameras and I don't want that shit on my network.

Which vendor keeps their cameras most secure and up to date on security patches?
NONE they all have a security risk that's why you never ever put a camera on the internet or port forward a camera. Always use a VPN... use your router firewall to block the camera services. Also you could put your cameras on a second network from your main network.

Reaction score
I understand all that, but even still, some vendors must be better at updating/patching their firmware than other's, right? I also read some, by design, use P2P to punch through firewalls exposing themselves, and I just want to avoid all of that... IN ADDITION to the recommendations you made.

Reaction score
Maybe you're thinking about UPNP to poke holes in firewalls? Disable all that phone home type of junk a build a secure network around your devices.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understand all that, but even still, some vendors must be better at updating/patching their firmware than other's, right? I also read some, by design, use P2P to punch through firewalls exposing themselves, and I just want to avoid all of that... IN ADDITION to the recommendations you made.
Your not understanding they all have security risk it doesn't matter if it's
Dahua
Hikvision
Samsung
Lg
Reolink
Ect......

If something has access to the WAN it has potential to be hacked, your simply relying on the manufacture to give you updates to keep you secure . When you should be securing yourself by not lettting the camera on the WAN and using a vpn when you remote in. You will never know all the security holes in a product that's why you take control of it and give it your security restrictions

Reaction score
I think you're missing my question. I already have the VLAN and VPN setup on my existing network. I want to choose a vendor that has a better reputation than the others. For example, I have read that Dahua releases more stable firmware than Hikvision - that is the type of advice I am looking for.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll have better responses to complaints with an Axis camera than Dahua or Hikvision. They aren't perfect either though. If budget isn't a big concern then I'd go with them. If you care about money then Hik or Dahua isolated from the Internet and remote accessed via VPN only..

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've had five Dahua cameras for a couple of months now, and a Hik camera for about a year.

I've had no stability issues with either in terms of firmware updates.

Granted, my Dahua cameras are a newer-ish model (the Starlight 5231 turret), but I think they've released at least three firmware updates for it over the past few months. That's more than I was expecting.

I thought I read somewhere on here where if you are running a Hikvison with a really old firmware, you're expected to upgrade to all of the missing updates in-between... you can't just jump from really old firmware to current firmware. If that's true, that' kind of sucks.

There also seems to be far less confusion/concern about if a Dahua firmware upgrade will brick the camera due to regions being off (i.e. Chinese camera vs International firmware). I'm not sure if that's because most folks here are buying the International versions of Dahua firmware, or if you try to put International firmware on a Chinese-market Dahua camera, it doesn't brick it.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had five Dahua cameras for a couple of months now, and a Hik camera for about a year.

I've had no stability issues with either in terms of firmware updates.

Granted, my Dahua cameras are a newer-ish model (the Starlight 5231 turret), but I think they've released at least three firmware updates for it over the past few months. That's more than I was expecting.

I thought I read somewhere on here where if you are running a Hikvison with a really old firmware, you're expected to upgrade to all of the missing updates in-between... you can't just jump from really old firmware to current firmware. If that's true, that' kind of sucks.

There also seems to be far less confusion/concern about if a Dahua firmware upgrade will brick the camera due to regions being off (i.e. Chinese camera vs International firmware). I'm not sure if that's because most folks here are buying the International versions of Dahua firmware, or if you try to put International firmware on a Chinese-market Dahua camera, it doesn't brick it.
Yeah sad to say but I never upgrade the firmware on any of my dahua or hikvision cameras,unless I really needed to,there are way to many horror stories on this site of people bricking there camera and making it useless all because they wanted a update that prob wouldn't do much of anything in the first place. This is why we keep these off the WAN, and trust nothing... its all we can do..

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Choices are limited. Hikvision and Dahua make a lot of the cameras on the market (some of these brands may have multiple oems). Check out these graphics from IPVM:

upload_2017-4-26_16-51-29.png
As long as people are willing to buy insecure products, security will be an afterthought. No matter what the best thing you can do is enforce security using other devices on your network like managed switches and vpn servers.

You pay a lot more for brands like Axis, Avigilon, Bosch, and Sony and hopefully part of what your buying is faster software updates. But these brands aren't immune to security issues either.

Last edited: