Which is the better NVR?

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello i have two NVR options that i would like to compare

DHI-NVR5232-4KS2

DHI-NVR5832-4KS2

I would like to know which of them is better. It will be used with 16x 8MP 4k cameras and 4x 2MP 1080P cameras. Both of them can fit to the price budget that we have, so it will come down to which one is better performing.

But to be honest though i think they are the same, the spec sheet is nearly identical

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Performance wise they should be the same.

The 5832 offers another LAN port if you wanted to split the cameras across two LANs (which can improve performance with all the 4K cams you have) and has output to two monitors compared to only 1 LAN and 1 monitor on the 5232.

if the price is close, always go for the higher number.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Performance wise they should be the same.

The 5832 offers another LAN port if you wanted to split the cameras across two LANs (which can improve performance with all the 4K cams you have) and has output to two monitors compared to only 1 LAN and 1 monitor on the 5232.

if the price is close, always go for the higher number.
about that feature you mentioned, the one with two LAN port. I dont understand it, how does it improve performance? All 16 cameras are connnected to a 24 port POE gigabit switch (with nvr connected to it also), these cameras only use about 20Mbps far from the gigabit the switches can fully handle. So i dont get why it needs to be split into two LANs? Is the performance increase for the camera or the NVR?

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Here is the problem. This specification. "4-ch@8MP(30fps), 16-ch@1080P(30fps)". Now, if you cut the FPS in half you "may" be able to double that. This is the problem that I ran into when adding 8MP cameras. So at a minimum you will need two of them and more likely 3 to be able to run the 16 cameras at 8MP at say 15fps along with the other four 2mp cameras. I have 4 Hikvision NVR's in order to handle my 20 cameras. Also you have to watch out for the power the NVR can put out. I was running 7 cameras on one of mine and it was causing problems. I had to put one of the cameras on its own power source. My 3 PTZ's all have their own power source.

Last edited:

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the problem. This specification. "4-ch@8MP(30fps), 16-ch@1080P(30fps)". Now, if you cut the FPS in half you "may" be able to double that. This is the problem that I ran into when adding 8MP cameras. So at a minimum you will need two of them and more likely 3 to be able to run the 16 cameras at 8MP and say 15fps along with the other four 2mp cameras. I have 4 Hikvision NVR's in order to handle my 20 cameras. Also you have to watch out for the power the NVR can put out. I was running 7 cameras on one of mine and it was causing problems. I had to put one of the cameras on its own power source. My 3 PTZ's all have their own power source.
Yes im completly watching out for this, i was able to test this NVR and it would seem i would need 3 NVRs. Im planning to run them at 10fps to get away with just using 2

looktall

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The drive capacity on an NVR would be limited only to the max size available at the time of manufacture would it not?
It should work just fine with a drive that is larger than the stated maximum capacity.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here is the problem. This specification. "4-ch@8MP(30fps), 16-ch@1080P(30fps)". Now, if you cut the FPS in half you "may" be able to double that. This is the problem that I ran into when adding 8MP cameras. So at a minimum you will need two of them and more likely 3 to be able to run the 16 cameras at 8MP at say 15fps along with the other four 2mp cameras. I have 4 Hikvision NVR's in order to handle my 20 cameras. Also you have to watch out for the power the NVR can put out. I was running 7 cameras on one of mine and it was causing problems. I had to put one of the cameras on its own power source. My 3 PTZ's all have their own power source.
Also 20 TB max capacity compared to 80 TB. Eight 10 TB HDDs should be enough to last a few days
If i were going on a route where i want only 1 NVR, do you know what model NVR i should go for ?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Here is the problem. This specification. "4-ch@8MP(30fps), 16-ch@1080P(30fps)".
That is decoding capability.
NOT recording capability.
Like my NVR52, it can handle a 24MP camera but decoding is limited to 8MP for a connected display.

Both options are the '-4KS2', personally I would try to find a '-I' or '-L' version.
Price skyrockets, but these are the NVR's that have on-board AI.

The '-4KS2' has AI support of the cameras, the NVR does not do any processing of the AI recognition.
So this means to get the advertised features (face recognition, video structurization, etc) it requires a camera with that feature.

A '-I/L' NVR will allow for some limited AI processing of the camera on the NVR.
Example, I have no cameras supporting facial recognition so my NVR does the processing for a camera.

drakejest

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is decoding capability.
NOT recording capability.
Like my NVR52, it can handle a 24MP camera but decoding is limited to 8MP for a connected display.

Both options are the '-4KS2', personally I would try to find a '-I' or '-L' version.
Price skyrockets, but these are the NVR's that have on-board AI.

The '-4KS2' has AI support of the cameras, the NVR does not do any processing of the AI recognition.
So this means to get the advertised features (face recognition, video structurization, etc) it requires a camera with that feature.

A '-I/L' NVR will allow for some limited AI processing of the camera on the NVR.
Example, I have no cameras supporting facial recognition so my NVR does the processing for a camera.
oh wait so you mean i have no problems using 16 8mp on 1 NVR? the only problem i will face is there might be problems displaying all 16 channels on the monitor? So the recording is fine?

fresnoboy

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Whichever you pick, do NOT allow it to be directly connected to the Internet without a restrictive firewall, and do not allow direct port forwarding from the router to the NVR. Use a VPN etc... These Chinese NVRs are the source of huge botnet attacks...

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The drive capacity on an NVR would be limited only to the max size available at the time of manufacture would it not?
It should work just fine with a drive that is larger than the stated maximum capacity.
I'd like to know this as well. Has anyone triend 12TB+ HDD on a NVR that states max 10TB HDD?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So you mean i have no problems using 16 8mp on 1 NVR? the only problem i will face is there might be problems displaying all 16 channels on the monitor? So the recording is fine?
Incoming bandwidth is the number to note.
Usually a 4MP camera in H.264 takes about 10mb/s.
ALL cameras must be under the bandwidth limit.
There is also usually a maximum single channel resolution, like my NVR at 24MP for a single camera.

When an NVR displays over 4 channels, it shows the sub stream.
Each IP cameras has at least two video streams; the full resolution main stream and sub stream in standard definition (usually around 720P).
The NVR will always record the main stream.
The NVR switches to showing sub stream per camera to save on processing many video channels at once for multi view.

It makes sense to show a lower resolution video.
Let's imagine you have a 4K monitor connected.
4 channels displayed at once is 1080P effective resolution per per channel shown.
Divided again for 16 channels shown at once is 960x530 effective resolution per channel shown.

Regarding bandwidth, it seems that sub stream contributes to the camera's total bandwidth.
You can turn off sub stream, but then the monitor view will turn black when viewing more than 4chs.
Sub stream is also used for the AI analytics.

If you plan to have some cameras on motion/AI recording only, recording sub stream constantly at least gives some video before it detected and started recording the full 8MP video.
*Recording at full resolution constantly is preferred so nothing is missed and use AI detection to flag when something happened.

cctv-dave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
with two LAN port. I dont understand it, how does it improve performance?
It doesn't.
These NVR's wil never swamp a single Gbit network port, never mind two of them.
It's just more flexibility in having multiple network paths, and dare i say a power play for spec-man-ship vs lesser models.
Even x86 based NVR's wont swamp their NIC's, and there are even models with 4x gbit ports plus the PoE ports.
Since it's mostly not possible to do VLAN trunking on a single port in these things and it's easier (less learning) to seperate individual networks out to multiple ports is the way they are thinking.
The intended security model for multi-lan ports would seperate out viewing terminals from the local LAN. Which is a bit backward, but process hasn't caught up.

I'd like to know this as well. Has anyone triend 12TB+ HDD on a NVR that states max 10TB HDD?
It's worth a go. When drives are tested it's typicaly at the time of release for the product on available capacity.
There is little reason to go back and test new drives.
The development is always forward looking with a short time in market lifecycle; there is no point in re-evaluation when you want to push the newer product/solution.
Unless the PC world is bleating about a hard drive size barrier, you will likely luck out. One thing you can do to verify for yourself, check the PCB for the SATA controller part code and read their datasheet.

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried the NVR4208-8P-4KS2 can use a single 18TB hard drive.
I was told by a Dahua installer that while higher capacity HDDs than those on Dahua's website may work, they may demand a higher Amps PSU and may cause freezing and other malfunctions to the NVR.

If i come across a higher than specified HDD i'll give it a try.