Which NVR for Remote Rental Home?

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Those cameras are on 1/3" sensors, or basically shoving 4MP on a sensor designed for 720P. Night performance will not be good.

The hardware looks the same, except one has a Dahua logo and one doesn't....
Thanks the NVR hardware looks very different.

I see that the NVR8CH-8P-2AI seems more capable and higher capacity oil some ways than the BH offering.... Okay, I don't want old technology or 1/3 sensors.

Thanks,

R

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
On the NVR, it was a lot easier for me when we could talk about 4000 and 5000 series NVRs. Currently, Andy has only one 16 channel, 16 POE NVR to compare to, the
NVR16CH-16P-2AI. It looks to me like the B&H NVR is close to 4000-series, and Andy's is 5000-series. Besides some of the throughput specs being higher on Andy's, it has some features absent in the
N464L124A, like higher than 8MP camera support and alarm in/out. You might not ever want to use these 2 things, they're just examples I spotted.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
On the NVR, it was a lot easier for me when we could talk about 4000 and 5000 series NVRs....
I see the latest cameras... Smart technologies and AI Functions such as: Quick Pick, AcuPick 2.0, SMD 4.0, deep learning algorithms, smart sound detection, smart object detection, etc…
If you have a smart camera do you need a certain NVR to make use of these smart features? If you have a smart NVR would you benefit from the AI smarts in the camera?

Thanks,

R

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I see the latest cameras... Smart technologies and AI Functions such as: Quick Pick, AcuPick 2.0, SMD 4.0, deep learning algorithms, smart sound detection, smart object detection, etc…
If you have a smart camera do you need a certain NVR to make use of these smart features? If you have a smart NVR would you benefit from the AI smarts in the camera?

Thanks,

R
Yes you need an NVR capable of using those features. With that said, for the homeowner use, Most of that stuff is not needed and most turn it off to save processor power.

The cameras with AI IVS rules and a newer NVR is more than adequate.

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes you need an NVR capable of using those features. With that said, for the homeowner use, Most of that stuff is not needed and most turn it off to save processor power.

The cameras with AI IVS rules and a newer NVR is more than adequate.
Care to mention a certain camera and NVR with the AI smarts that you are recommending and where they work well together?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
Me again @
With what 100,000 members, I can assure you that its 80%+, betcha a Stella ;)

What is it that makes reviewing camera triggers so different/awesome?

I can either us SmartPSS to look at the timeline, or I can use the AI search on the NVR to display just the events
I choose human, Vehicle, Face Detect, Non-motor vehicle, or IVS and see those events.
Granted I cant say "Google show me the red cars" but the new Acupick can effectively do that

In NVR AI search
View attachment 202648 View attachment 202649 View attachment 202650 View attachment 202651 View attachment 202652

NVR regular playback single or multi cameras synched
View attachment 202653 View attachment 202654

SmartPSS multi or single review/playback by timeline or list on right
View attachment 202656 View attachment 202655
Just trying to add my two cents with my experience (albeit my first and only NVR w Dahua cams). NVR8CH-8P-2AI with several S3 gen cameras. I make all changes on the camera GUI.

I am using "AI" mode vs "AcuPick" on both the NVR and camera interface as the two have to be the same according to an error message when you try to run them differently on the cam and NVR. I run "AI" mode because of the advice from here to save on processor power and such. With that said, it does not appear I can run an "AI search" for the things you suggest and have it return a result. See image. It appears your NVR may use "metadata" to get those results or that is my thought. I say this because when I ran the NVR in "AcuPick" mode (which enables metadata) I could run the search as you suggest and return results. However, it appears, and I could be wrong, but I cannot enable any sort of metadata without Acupick being enabled. (camera GUI). Maybe I am not doing something correctly and someone with the latest AcuPick firmware on these newer AI NVR's can chime in.

Attachments