Which NVR to replace LaView LV-N9916C6E 16 cams?

blocksog

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the Laview LV-N9916C6E and currently 14 cameras on it. I inherited it from the previous homeowner. The system is a piece of unimaginable crap. Just entering the admin password is a challenge because keys seem to stick. At this moment I cannot even play back the videos either from the phone or from the system itself. It has gotten worse in the last 3 years without me changing anything or upgrading anything. I have a potential firmware upgrade file that I found in this forum, but still have not managed to upgrade it from the web interface, that is the kind of crap this system is.

So, I wanted an opinion from others here. The cameras are all from Laview (two of them have broken for no reason), and they use their own Laview format to interface with the NVR. Maybe they can output onvif too, but I don't know.

Is there a way to upgrade just the NVR and leave the POE cameras in place for use with a new, better NVR?

Which NVR would you advice to have some sort of future proofing? I would love to have features like searching for motion in a specific region of a feed during playback (like find which dog pooped in a point of my frontyard). But the basic aim is to have a smooth experience to review videos frm the phone or remotely from a browser/app. I have also a Synology NAS at home with a couple of cameras, and at least that experience is much smoother compared to the Laview NVR. Having an easy experience, switching playback speed, instantly, etc., switching easily or automatically between quality feeds of a camera, these are things I think would be good.

Many thanks for your advise.

My current Laview info:
1720116775260.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If your Synology NAS is like Blue Iris VMS you should be able to stream RTSP via the NVR itself and allow the NVR to continue powering the cams and isolating them from the Internet.

Laview is usually OEM'd by Hikvision so if your NAS can accept them try the following URL's. Be sure to place 2 "/" after "rtsp:" as forum software won't allow 2 to be displayed consecutively. Insure your syntax, spelling punctuation is flawless:

Get the main stream of the 1st channel:

Code:
rtsp:/NVR username:NVR password@NVR LAN IP:554/Streaming/channels/101
Get the main stream of the 5th channel:

Code:
rtsp:/NVR username:NVR password@NVR LAN IP:554/Streaming/channels/501

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have the Laview LV-N9916C6E and currently 14 cameras on it. I inherited it from the previous homeowner. The system is a piece of unimaginable crap. Just entering the admin password is a challenge because keys seem to stick. At this moment I cannot even play back the videos either from the phone or from the system itself. It has gotten worse in the last 3 years without me changing anything or upgrading anything. I have a potential firmware upgrade file that I found in this forum, but still have not managed to upgrade it from the web interface, that is the kind of crap this system is.

So, I wanted an opinion from others here. The cameras are all from Laview (two of them have broken for no reason), and they use their own Laview format to interface with the NVR. Maybe they can output onvif too, but I don't know.

Is there a way to upgrade just the NVR and leave the POE cameras in place for use with a new, better NVR?

Which NVR would you advice to have some sort of future proofing? I would love to have features like searching for motion in a specific region of a feed during playback (like find which dog pooped in a point of my frontyard). But the basic aim is to have a smooth experience to review videos frm the phone or remotely from a browser/app. I have also a Synology NAS at home with a couple of cameras, and at least that experience is much smoother compared to the Laview NVR. Having an easy experience, switching playback speed, instantly, etc., switching easily or automatically between quality feeds of a camera, these are things I think would be good.

Many thanks for your advise.

My current Laview info:
View attachment 197783
Welcome @blocksog

As Tony mentioned LaView sold a lot of Hikvision oem systems and cameras.

I would have to check the item number to be 100% certain.

Iirc most of the cameras they sold are able to produce an rtsp feed that meets specs well enough so you can use 3rd party recording systems.

NVR .. if you want to just replace the nvr look for a hikvision nvr that has plenty of compute power to handle that many cameras with at least 8mp resolution.

Can also try blue iris on a PC, or the hikvision vms on a PC.

Most members prefer other solutions than synology as that gets pricey quickly once you add more cameras.

blocksog

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. To be clear, I am not interested to load my NAS with 16 camera feeds. Wouldn't want even to have that much data flowing through my router or home network. I like that the NVR has its own network and all data stay within that without flowing on the home network.

So back to my question. More specifically which recent Hikvision NVR is a good shot for using existing Laview cameras?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. To be clear, I am not interested to load my NAS with 16 camera feeds. Wouldn't want even to have that much data flowing through my router or home network. I like that the NVR has its own network and all data stay within that without flowing on the home network.

So back to my question. More specifically which recent Hikvision NVR is a good shot for using existing Laview cameras?
I do not know the current hikvision line up.

Seems like the current nvr you have was a beefer one .. 16 ports, and up to 4 hdds.

Probably a good time to double check your current nvr for issues. First I would check the hdds health. Then check for load issues. Also check if there is too much dust build up in the unit.

Last edited: