Which one?

djwrp

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been surfin' around internet and tried to find the perfect cam for me, but it's not easy. I bet it's easier to get out from the Amazon rain forest with no map or compass then find the perfect cam by myself :p
I hope you guys can help me with this.

I have a budget of 200$/cam and need for outdoor cams to cover my house. I want at least 720P and PoE cams. Maybe a good NVR too, I might add 2-4 (both in-/outdoor) cams in 12 months to my system.

I have been reading a lot about dahua and hikvision, i guess it's dead race between these two brands?

//S

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Cam & NVR are going to depend on your needs.
Hikvision is a good brand (I use them) and there's a good NVR deal currently being offered by one of our members that I'd jump on if I hadn't already paid more for less.

Thank you all for your support! I updated the first post with our standalone NVR sale, valid till end of August.

OEM versions of Hikvision NVRs:

DS-7604NI-VP : $169
DS-7608NI-VP : $199
DS-7616NI-VP : $219

http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9733

Each of them has 4 built-in POE ports.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, you found a helpful place, so welcome!

Long story short, I researched options on and off for a while, until I found hikvision. Got the ball rolling with a trial camera, was happy with the results and things grew from there. While 720p may be good to keep an eye on activity, for identification purposes of a car or someone that isn't exactly close to the camera, it lacks the needed detail. You want 1920x1080 to be practical, or better. Not much more cost per se. Budget per camera is good. Location, needed coverage distance or field of view and will determine options; and desired style of camera will of course. Good choice on POE. Of course leaves out the little detail of recording but we'll figure that out.

djwrp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all reply so far.

I saw that I can get 3MP cams within my budget. Dome vs Bullet? The quality is the same if you go with dome or bullet version of the cam? Next thing, thats the lens. In this price range, I guess I have to live with fixed lens. I'll mount the cams 2-10 meters from the doors I want to monitor, and under the roof with 45 degree roof pitch.

About the NVR. If I want to record in 1080p, it takes more then 1 channel or?

//S

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The NVRs sold by @milkisbad will handle 4, 8, or 16 cams at 1080p, though the 16 cam version will only play back 8 cams at once. Either way I recommend you message him. I think he said he might extend the July sales on IP cameras into August, which would mean the 3MP cams are $140 each. If not, then a bit higher but still under $200 and you get a great long warranty from his company. I highly recommend you talk to him.

Oh, and Dome vs Bullet. Bullets are usually the easiest to install. Domes vary. Some are 2-axis which means the camera can't rotate, only be panned and tilted manually when you are installing it. This limits you to mounting on flat ceilings, or on walls if you want the cam pointing straight out away from the wall. 3-axis domes can rotate also which means you can orient the camera properly no matter what angle you mount the camera at. Hikvisions' 2032 is a bullet, 2132 is a 2-axis dome, and 2332 is a 3-axis "turret"-style dome. There are also a handful of other models, mostly for indoors. milkisbad has most of them although they are rebranded for his company.

The different camera shapes all more or less have the same image quality and build quality. Some of the models have different lens options than the others, for example the bullets can't do 2.8mm (extra-wide angle) but the domes can.

Last edited by a moderator:

djwrp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for fast reply. So, if the cam will be near the door/object to watch I should get a dome then?

Better to get a 16 channel NVR for the future, so i don't need to upgrade after a year already.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Dome vs bullet is more a personal and practical choice than dicated by "better". Domes are more vandal proof and take a bit more time to install because there's a bracket first, followed by the base + aiming and then the dome cover. Then if you have a varifcocal dome some extra time to zoom and verify the focus.
Whereas the bullets can be as simple as connect to ethernet coming through wall/soffit, put three screws in, verify angle as you tighten, done.
They both get the job done, but you wouldn't really say one is better over the other.
It depends on where they'll be installed and aesthetics before I'd say one vs the other. Some people want large cams that stand out, others want small and more covert.
But basic bullets are more econimical and better value.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you need IR performance go for a bullet; but by doors you should already have additional security lighting so a dome here is usually a safe bet.. The problem is getting the IR out of the dome without reflecting off the dome its self; that means the IR lights cant be nearly as powerful. In dark corners you'll be happier with a good IR bullet.

djwrp

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the answers. I think i'll go for four bullet, maybe one or two with variforcal lens. What I understand its not a bad thing to have if you want to pay more?

//S