Which switch makes the most sense

Gdurham

n3wb
Reaction score
I have on order a dahua 4216 (no Poe) I have a couple options and trying to decide which way makes the most sense.

I have at my disposal a Cisco 3750 48 port fast ethernet Poe and I have a Cisco 3560 48 port gigabit. I am thinking about using the gigabit and picking up a midspan to handle Poe for the cameras and other gear and using the rest of the switch for my network. I know the cameras are 10/100 however the nvr is gigabit. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a midspan. Thanks!

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I would consider the power they use all the time.
check the datasheets for these models. 3560 is slightly newer so uses somewhat less power i guess.

the 3750 has poe, but is 100 mbps, so if you have a number of camera's that exceed the output of 100 mbps the nvr cannot record it.

depending on what you expect from a switch both these might be overkill with all their options and the heavy power us comes with it. Also they tend to make some noise to cool down their internals.

i went for affordable d-link poe switch that has power budget for my 3 cameras i run on it. That is concuming much less power than such a cisco. With energy prices here i get back the investment soon.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you have one camera that can overload a 100mbps link, then 10 cameras will overload a 1000mbps link.... I am skeptical... could you share the 'show ip interface brief' on that camera port?

Background - I am a 20 year Cisco engineer, I use an old WS-C3560-24PS and doing 1080p/30(mostly) on 11 cameras through a single 100mbps uplink to BI doing continuous recording direct to a 4TB purple drive on a i7 g4 4770k... that is my daily use PC at ~10% cpu use.... sure, I need to use the gigabit uplink port, but been lazy and have not hooked it up, have to rummage to find a GLC-T

3560-24PS's are $50 on ebay, and last way longer through a power spike than a d-link or linksys, I know, I live in Florida, lightning capital of the world, but hey, buy a spare 3560 and set it on the shelf...

3750 and 3560 are really same generation, 3750 just has ability to stack switches to appear as one logical, so if you have more than 48 cameras, it is a great idea...

3xx0v2 is newer, and the 3xx0X even newer, the 3850 and 3650 (3650, not 3560) are the current line, and big bucks... I paid $1200 used for my 3560 years ago and it was a bargain....

Mike
CCIE#6771

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I tossed my power hungry 160W 48 port cisco's and replaced it with a dlink managed 48 port that uses 20W.. unlike in the datacenter, I am paying the electricity bills at home..

since most things shut down on my dual 3000VA UPS's during a power outage, except for my switch, midspan, and video surveillance equipment I've managed to dramatically extend my battery runtimes durring extended power outages by sending that cisco to the recycler.

the OP has a NVR thats probably running on less than 20W, and a switch trolling along over 100W.. want to extend uptime in a power outage, ditch the most power hungry device.

mjcother

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
well, it depends on the exact generation/model of cisco, some of them that are 15 years old can draw that much... mostly it is fan speed and modern ones spin down the fans quite a bit... but if you have 25-48 cameras that difference becomes less noticeable... I had pedestrian grade switches get ports fried and the cisco on the other end be just fine... so to each his own...