Which system is better, Reolink or Lorex

Dacole

n3wb
Reaction score
We are in the process of rebuilding our house after the wildfire came thru Colorado over a year and a half ago. Our house is at the point where electricians, plumbers, and hvac are getting their stuff installed. I installed cat 6a out to 10 locations around the outside of the house all linked back to the head. I was looking to install a camera system wired to temp power so I can monitor and record the coming and goings of people 24/7. Which off the shelf system is better for doing this that does have shitty cameras or recorderders, Reolink or Lorex?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Not many people here will recommend box kits, but between the two, go with Lorex. At least up until recently, Lorex was Dahua OEM, so you would probably end up with a Dahua OEM that you could upgrade over time.

Stay away from Reolink unless all you care about is what time something happened. Their night time performance is horrible.

In most instances, you want to get a camera that will perform at your location for the worse situation, which for most of us is at night when it is dark and there is little to no light. If a camera performs at night, it is easier to tweak settings to make it work during the day than it is the other way around.

Did I mention avoid Reolink, especially at night they are horrible. Look at these examples.

What you mean a missing hand isn't normal LOL :lmao: (plus look at the blur on the face and he is barely moving and this should be ideal indoor IR bounce and it struggles):

1672013569648.png

How about missing everything but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL (hint - the person is literally in the middle of the image at the end of the fence)

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1672013751058.png

And of course, this is an example from Reolink's marketing videos - do you see a person in this picture...yes, there is a person in this picture.... Could this provide anything useful for the police other than the date and time something happened? Would this protect your store? The still picture looks great though except for the person and the blur of the vehicle... Will give you a hint - the person is in between the two visible columns:

1672013780681.png

Bad Boys
Bad Boys
Watcha gonna do
Watcha gonna do
When the cameras can't see you

Here is the unofficial Reolink page where people have provided their best nighttime image captures. As you will see, they are basically useless.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If your going to bother to go thru with this....the Lorex System can be used to integrate Blue Iris ( if you want) at a later date, or if you upgrade your NVR, the Lorex cams that still meet your needs will "plug n play" in a sense with a Dahua OEm type NVR....
Reolink more than Lorex, tries to get you locked into Reo-verse, where your stuck buying only stuff that works with a particular model NVR.....
If you decide to put a Dahua OEM ass kicking mo***F*ing gotacha moth***F**rs cam up, the Lorex would be best NVR of the 2.

Dacole

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
Currently I am only running a trail cam at the house with a mobile internet connection. The trail cam can completely miss people running thru the field of view, and they are very easy to rip off or disable. I will be doing a better setup/cameras once we move into the house. There are people ripping off job sites from people that are in the process of rebuilding and I hope to deter/catch them if they intend to target our house.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.
Currently I am only running a trail cam at the house with a mobile internet connection. The trail cam can completely miss people running thru the field of view, and they are very easy to rip off or disable. I will be doing a better setup/cameras once we move into the house. There are people ripping off job sites from people that are in the process of rebuilding and I hope to deter/catch them if they intend to target our house.
Hi @Dacole

Look for better cameras with larger sensors if low light image capture is an issue ..