Which Turret for my first camera ? 2MP, 3MP, or 4Mp ?

thehardway

n3wb
Reaction score
I need suggestions for my fist camera...I've been reading but am rather confused by all the Hikvision model numbers and firmware issues.

Project house:
1200 sq ft rectangular, one story house with a covered carport and covered porch.

I thought I'd start with two turret cameras:
1: one mounted to the ceiling of the carport above utility room door looking out toward driveway.
2: one mounted to the ceiling of the porch next to the front door looking out into the front yard.

I will connect these to a Blue Iris computer temporarily and possibly a Hikvision NVR a little later.

My Question:
So which model Turret ? The 0.01 Lux 4MP DS-2CD2342WD-I seems nice but twice the cost of 3MP DS-2CD3335-I.
DS-2CD2342WD-I $165
DS-2CD2322WD-I $ ?
DS-2CD2332-I $110 Ebay (seems high)
LTS rebranded 4MP alphabet soup model number - $150

H E L P ! ! ! !
Please make a camera suggestion and give me an idea of the typical price for the unit. I'd really like to stay at $100 usd or less per camera. Thanks

***** Update *****

From reading the forum it seems there's a preference for the turret style camera vs doom cameras for better IR capabilities. However my cameras will be installed in Louisiana USA which might be described as a sub-tropical climate. There are bugs and critters everywhere.
---> Which style camera would be easier to keep clean ?
---> Would your dome vs turret recommendation change for the bug infested deep South

Last edited by a moderator:

dalepa

Reaction score
Still waiting for a good review on the 4MP turret. Not sure 4MP is worth the 2x unless the image quality is significantly better than the 3MP version.

Here's what I recommend for starters.

1. Hikvision 2335 2.8mm (widest field of view) or 4mm
2. i5 or better PC with BlueIris Software
3. TP-link POE Switch
4. Ethernet Cable (if needed)
5. Crimping tools (if needed)

My first camera went in over the garage, and is a good place to start. 2.8mm will give a wide angle, but I used 2 4mm cameras which cost double, but results in a closer view to the subjects.

My second camera went in over my front door at 2.8mm.

Then:

1. Mount the hik 2335 (above the garage door in my case)
2. Run 1 ethernet cable from the camera to the POE switch (which is normally close to your router)
3. Run 1 ethernet cable from the POE switch to your router
4. Configure the Hikvision camera with SADP tool
5. Install Blue Iris and add the camera.

Done

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What? My comparison images 3MP vs 4MP wasn't good enough? :)

In short 4MP is better, more noticeable at night though, but is it worth the cost? Not for me. ;) Btw 4MP IQ was improved with 5.3.6 firmware.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
fwiw, the 2335 I received recently also doesn't have the 50/60hz setting available and appears locked at 50hz/PAL.