White Balance Correction?

wxman

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably a lost cause here, but maybe someone has a solution? Is there any permanent solution to bad white balance?

Working on a setup in which there's both grass and sky in the camera view. When using auto WB, it looks fine as long as there's blue sky mixed with puffy white clouds. However, if there's no clouds at all, the grass turns brown and the sky a slight purple.....When using "Natural Light" WB during this time, the grass turns a weird shade of green (almost grey) and the sky a uncomfortably bright, unrealistic shade of blue.....When switching back and forth between Auto WB and Natural Light WB, there is a split second during the transition in which the colors look normal and (when I'm fast enough) I can switch to "locked" during that quick second and it will hold the good settings....but when the sun goes down in the evening (or it gets completely cloudy during the day) the grass turns blue under that setting causing the need to readjust the WB.

I'm assuming that there's no fixed adjustment that will make it look good at all times as WB has to be adjusted for changing lighting conditions. On the other hand, I'm assuming there's no way to manipulate the auto WB setting to make it perform differently? I've also tried adjusting the Hue, which can make the colors a little more normal, but still doesn't look nearly as good as when the white balance is properly calibrated.

Is there any hope or is this just one of those problems that's unavoidable?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have tons of camera where there is both grass and skyline...I have never seen any such issue...I would reset the camera to default and see how it looks.