Who is using Axis cameras because they're not Chinese?

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Maybe I need to be fitted for an an aluminum foil hat, but I just can't move myself to buy Dahua or Hikvision, no matter how superlative they may be.

What Axis cameras are y'all using?

BWB8771

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know this "apples and oranges" but, via Wireshark some years ago, I caught a Wi-Fi outlet sending my SSID and password to the Internet. I now have my (soon-to-be-replaced) webcams on a subnet that cannot access the Internet.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Regardless of which camera you go with, you should block them from internet access.

Even high end Axis got hacked last year.

Block the cams from the internet and go with the best bang for the buck and that will be Dahua and Hik and not 5 times the cost axis lol.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have Axis, Avigilon, Dahua and cheap XMeye cameras.

By far, I prefer Axis:
  • Overall quality, Particularly WDR performance.
  • Firmware updates handling.
  • User interface responsiveness and appearance.
  • Built in junction box, no fly leads or added large box needed.
What I do not like about Axis:
  • The expensive price.... if money wasn't an issue I would replace everything with Axis.
  • They are typically only avaliable through dealers.

Why do I use Dahua:
  • Price point to quality is awesome.
  • AI is very good.
  • User interface is good, but occasional short-time sluggishness.
  • More options for time, name and custom overlays (than Axis/Avigilon/XMeye). Including via API.
  • DMSS app is easy to use.
  • SmartPSS works fine, occasional weirdness.
  • Range of cameras avaliable is awesome. Such as form factors, resolution, cmos size, lens options, specialty cameras (e.g. thermal, 180 splicing, hubble, TiOC) & mounting options.
  • Dahua/Hikvision/UNV make 'all-in one' cameras, whereas Axis/Avigilon make separate accessories. E.g. Axis flashing light and speaker (D4100-E).
  • Cameras include Data+POE and a 12v barrel connector. That 12v connector is useful when testing if a POE injection/switch is unavailable.

What qualifies me to say this?
I own 15 cameras. Most are Dahua. These are domes, bullets, turrets, miniature domes, PTZs and a thermal camera.
I use AI functions on my NVR, such as video metadata collection, IVS and facial recognition. I also use the API of these cameras with my Home Automation.

Why do I use Dahua and XMeye (Chinese cameras) when there is spying and security risks?
Any camera has risks... including Axis/Avigilon.
Just block it on your router.... job done.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does Axis cams allow modern browsers to connection to access all camera features without special plugin's unlike Dahua which requires a virtual machine running a 13 year old unsupported operating system and browser?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does Axis cams allow modern browsers to connection to access all camera features without special plugin's unlike Dahua which requires a virtual machine running a 13 year old unsupported operating system and browser?
Yes.
I bought my Axis camera and the firmware it came with in 2016 required Internet Exploerer.
An update was pending and the whole user interface changed to their current modern version. Now it only works in Chrome, it doesn't work in Internet Explorer.

I got software updates until 2021 on that camera.

lasakro

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes.
I bought my Axis camera and the firmware it came with in 2016 required Internet Exploerer.
An update was pending and the whole user interface changed to their current modern version. Now it only works in Chrome, it doesn't work in Internet Explorer.

I got software updates until 2021 on that camera.
I'm sold. Axis even endorses Google Chrome on Linux exactly what I was looking for. Just curious, what happened after 2021? Just no more updates published?

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just curious, what happened after 2021? Just no more updates published?
2016 - 2021 is 5 years warranty support.
Axis website shows hardware support until 2025 and Axis OS maintenance until 2025.

All products have a date when they become obsolete to maintain, as new products replace them.
The product obviously still works past it's support dates.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On MS Edge (not in IE mode!):

1693716529781.png
1693716623426.png

The interface also supports 'dark mode'.
Updating is easy, either Axis utility app on your computer or upload the file to the camera.

Rolling back firmware is a handy feature if you have problems on the latest update. I haven't needed to use it though.
1693716694860.png

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Maybe I need to be fitted for an an aluminum foil hat, but I just can't move myself to buy Dahua or Hikvision, no matter how superlative they may be.
I'll post my thoughts on the whole "Chinese" camera situation. I've posted this before and I have simply cut and paste my response here, but it still applies.....

There are two things to consider with regard to Chinese cameras. The first is the "hacking" or security risk that these cameras pose. Do not let the fact that these cameras are produced in China scare you from using them. There are two levels of "hacking" threats IMHO. The first is to the general population like you and me. We primarily have to be worried about our devices "spying" on us (ie sending information back to unknown servers) and our devices being taken over for "bot armies". Both of these threats are effectively eliminated with a properly secure local network which does not allow these devices access to/from the internet. The truth is however that you should be isolating these devices from the internet and the rest of your network regardless of the manufacture's country of origin. The second level is stuff that governments and large corporations need to worry about. These are targeted and active attempts to break into networks. These are done on high value targets due to the time and cost, so it's not something the average person has to worry about. Yes the US Gov has barred Chinese cameras from being installed at their facilities and with good reason.

Large businesses, utility companies and governments need to be worried about much more than the average person. Don't under estimate the level of digital warfare that is being waged today. As an example, take the Iranian uranium centrifuges that were damaged a few years back using a virus even though the facility was on a "closed network" without internet access. That virus floated harmlessly around the world until it finally found itself on the right network with the right centrifuges installed on it when an employee connected their laptop (that had picked the virus up outside of the facility) to the facility's network. At that point the virus was able to damage the equipment in such a small way that it went unnoticed for quite a long time. While that attack had to work it's way onto the centrifuge network by spreading throughout the world first, a camera would be a perfect trojan horse to get nefarious things onto an isolated (ie no WAN connection) network. The Chinese wouldn't have to figure out how to penetrate a secure government facility to upload something nefarious because we would install it ourselves when we installed their camera. Of course that type of attack would be very focused and have a specific target. Unless some sort of equipment on your network was specifically targeted, any virus would just "float around" looking for it's intended target just like the Iranian centrifuge virus did. This type of attack by design is an offensive weapon rather than a "data collector" because without internet there is no way to pass data back. It could be an extremely effective weapon however and it's why the Federal Government has banned or is trying to ban Chinese cameras, network equipment, and even cellular equipment from being installed in their facilities.

That being said, these are issues that the general public doesn't need to worry about. There is nothing on our home networks that the Chinese are going to "target" with that type of sophisticated attack. That's why I am perfectly fine with running Dahua cameras at my house. Of course they are on their own isolated VLAN without internet access to prevent data collection and zombie bot use, but that should be done regardless of the manufacturer or country of manufacturing.

Second, you have to worry about "grey market" cameras and whether a camera you buy is really designed for the US market or if it is really a Chinese version using some hacked firmware with English directions. I would not buy Chinese cameras from just any vendor. I would certainly recommend you use a trusted vendor because there are plenty of people selling Chinese versions of cameras with a hacked "English" firmware on it. That is a receipt for disaster because the camera will likely brick the first time you try to update it.

Last edited:

mahalingam

n3wb
Reaction score
I have Axis, Dahua, Hikvision, Vivotek, and Arecont Vision IP cameras. In general I prefer Axis because of the quality and features - the fact that they are not made in China is just a bonus.