Who makes a decent H.265 Turret?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
H.265 appears to be sticking as the newest and widest accepted compression standard it seems, ( as compared to more proprietary H.264+\Zip, etc.).
So with that in mind I thought I'd look for cameras that support H.265 before I buy. I'm not seeing a lot out there though.
I know people like Hikvision cameras around here a lot and I know LTS ir rebranded Hik, so I contacted milkisbad @ LTS and he says they do not seem to have any available yet.

Does anyone know if that is across the whole Hikvision line or maybe just the models LTS is rebranding?

Can anyone recommend any quality mfg of H.265 turrets to consider?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
h.265 is hardly widely accepted...the dahua 1080p startlight turret is by FAR the best value today.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Not saying it is currently widely accepted...just saying it looks like it wil lprobably be the new standard as more mfgs are starting to make cameras and NVRs with it vs. the other newer compression formats.

I saw the new Dahua PTZs are now H.265.

I thought a lot of current opinions on the fixed cams were that Hik was pumping out the better product recently...(not that I want to start a fanboy war between the two on the post as there are a lot of opinions around here on both.)

Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not saying it is currently widely accepted...just saying it looks like it wil lprobably be the new standard as more mfgs are starting to make cameras and NVRs with it vs. the other newer compression formats.

I saw the new Dahua PTZs are now H.265.

I thought a lot of current opinions on the fixed cams were that Hik was pumping out the better product recently...(not that I want to start a fanboy war between the two on the post as there are a lot of opinions around here on both.)

Thanks
There is no question the dahua turret is miles ahead of the hikvision cams available in the 170 price range. The night vision is good, SD card, MIC, motorized varifocal...in my opinion it would be silly to buy anything else at this time.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hikvision has never produced a significantly better product than Dahua; they have largely been neck to neck in terms of hardware.. but Dahua's been the king of PTZ's for years, and now they are the king of Starlights/Darkfighters.. Hik might catch back up with time but right now they are loosing significant battles against Dahua and thats not likely to change anytime soon.

not only does the 2MP dahua starlight turret one of the best cameras on the market when it comes to performance vs cost; its likely best turret of all time, at this point.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just found and read @nayr's thread on the HDW5231R-Z a little earlier and that really sounds like the way to go.
Thanks

Phrede

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade and add some cameras and use Blue Iris. I've got a few different apps/styles that I'm looking for. A couple long range outdoor PTZ POE domes, a couple POE bullets, a couple PTZ indoor WiFi. There are times I want/need to manually control the IR LEDs and that seems to be a problem for many mfgs. even though they claim to be fully BI compatible they really are not. I don't really need camera specific software or cloud stuff, just need a good solid camera and be able to configure it then do as much as possible with BI. Not wanting to pay return shipping again, can anyone here make a recommendation?

TIA

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade and add some cameras and use Blue Iris. I've got a few different apps/styles that I'm looking for. A couple long range outdoor PTZ POE domes, a couple POE bullets, a couple PTZ indoor WiFi. There are times I want/need to manually control the IR LEDs and that seems to be a problem for many mfgs. even though they claim to be fully BI compatible they really are not. I don't really need camera specific software or cloud stuff, just need a good solid camera and be able to configure it then do as much as possible with BI. Not wanting to pay return shipping again, can anyone here make a recommendation?

TIA
Get these turrets....you can work with the developer to get the ir on off to work..regardless, even if you cant control it, its a small price to pay for a superior image...manually controlling cameras get old very fast.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
from my understanding what people call turning IR on/off in BlueIris is really switching from day/night profile on most cameras.. if your camera is configured for auto-select for color(IR cut on)/B&W(ir cut off), on both its day/night profiles.. then you wont see it turn on/off IR as you expect, but its still changing profiles.. you just didn't configure em correctly; you'd want to force day to color and night to black and white on the cameras internal configs for that behavior.

BlueIris does not control the IR directly; and its completely possible to have your profiles configured without fixed IR cut settings.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
...BlueIris does not control the IR directly; and its completely possible to have your profiles configured without fixed IR cut settings.
I use BI and the BI Android app DOES let me control the IR.
(This cam is just sitting on an indoor window sill so you can see the IR reflect when on which makes it totally useless at night, haha)

There is a lightbulb button that turns the camera's IR on\off. Not a profile, just a simple force IR on\off.

It can be done in the camera's webserver GUI too so clearly it has to be an option on the camera first.
The on camera IR setting choices are manual on, manual off, auto.
So, for the button to work in BI I have to have it set to one of the manual selections for it to work.

BI functionality, it appears, can differ from camera to camera depending on what's programmed for the selected camera type I guess. It may not work for your model, but if it works for my cheap-o Foscam, it may for this and others as well.

Attachments

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
On another note, the seller mentioned in this thread said no more cameras available for at least 2 weeks. He also said, when I inquired, the "new order I will use NTSC", but not right now, next order"
So not exactly sure if that means the camera stock arriving in two weeks or the cameras that would arrive AFTER that batch.
...although @nayre points out it really does not make a difference any more most likely.

Phrede

n3wb
Reaction score
Get these turrets....you can work with the developer to get the ir on off to work..regardless, even if you cant control it, its a small price to pay for a superior image...manually controlling cameras get old very fast.
These meaning which? Being able to turn off the IR LEDs is a mandatory requirement. What may get old to you may be needed by me. You don't know my application which has light interference from nearby cameras.

Phrede

n3wb
Reaction score
from my understanding what people call turning IR on/off in BlueIris is really switching from day/night profile on most cameras.. if your camera is configured for auto-select for color(IR cut on)/B&W(ir cut off), on both its day/night profiles.. then you wont see it turn on/off IR as you expect, but its still changing profiles.. you just didn't configure em correctly; you'd want to force day to color and night to black and white on the cameras internal configs for that behavior.

BlueIris does not control the IR directly; and its completely possible to have your profiles configured without fixed IR cut settings.
I have cameras that can have the IR LEDs turned on and off independent from anything else by issuing preset codes. That method works for me or the normal control as part of the PTZ control which can be controlled by a JSON script.

In any event if the camera does not allow BI to control its LEDs it will not work for me.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
These meaning which? Being able to turn off the IR LEDs is a mandatory requirement. What may get old to you may be needed by me. You don't know my application which has light interference from nearby cameras.
Better off with a much better night image than silly requirements for what is likely a useless ptz patrol.....the camera allows for the IR to be shut off (nayr posted a screenshot of this option in his review thread)...so its simply a matter of giving the developer access or writing your own script..

Last edited:

Phrede

n3wb
Reaction score
you clearly did not understand a damn thing I was saying...
If you are talking about comments about profiles, what I don't understand is what makes you think that because I know for a fact that independent control of the IR LEDs, NOT PROFILES, is possible on some of my existing cameras.

I see now this was the wrong place to ask a simple question. Sorry for the bother.