Who's sensor is used in 4MP cameras such as Dahua, Hikvision etc

AlanH

n3wb
Reaction score
I am looking at PTZ IP camera's with 10X+ optical zoom for remote viewing of the back yard and lake. I want a camera that uses a quality sensor. Several 2MP (1080p) cameras from Dahua etc have spec sheets showing Sony 1/2.8" Starvis sensors. Since I plan on using optical zoom, not enlarging a recorded picture a live 1080p image is good enough. However my phone has 1440p resolution and my computer monitors are 4K (2160p) so I looked at some 4MP (1440p) cameras.

I went to the Amcrest web site and using the live chat, asked about their IP4M-1053EW (4MP, 12X zoom) and was given "ProHD POE+ Camera Security Speed Dome, Sony Starvis Sensor, 328ft ... Pan/Tilt/12x Motorized Zoom, 4-Megapixel (2592x1520), IP4M-1053EW" but this information is not in any of the advertising, spec sheets or manuals.

Amazon lists an Inesun Outdoor PTZ (18X Optical Zoom) with a Sony 5MP IMX335 (Starvis) sensor but the camera is only $229 so I would not expect a quality PTZ camera.

The 4MP versions of PTZ cameras do not mention the sensor brand, just the sensor size typically 1/3". Do any PTZ 10X+ optical zoom cameras use name brand sensors?

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking at PTZ IP camera's with 10X+ optical zoom for remote viewing of the back yard and lake. I want a camera that uses a quality sensor. Several 2MP (1080p) cameras from Dahua etc have spec sheets showing Sony 1/2.8" Starvis sensors. Since I plan on using optical zoom, not enlarging a recorded picture a live 1080p image is good enough. However my phone has 1440p resolution and my computer monitors are 4K (2160p) so I looked at some 4MP (1440p) cameras.

I went to the Amcrest web site and using the live chat, asked about their IP4M-1053EW (4MP, 12X zoom) and was given "ProHD POE+ Camera Security Speed Dome, Sony Starvis Sensor, 328ft ... Pan/Tilt/12x Motorized Zoom, 4-Megapixel (2592x1520), IP4M-1053EW" but this information is not in any of the advertising, spec sheets or manuals.

Amazon lists an Inesun Outdoor PTZ (18X Optical Zoom) with a Sony 5MP IMX335 (Starvis) sensor but the camera is only $229 so I would not expect a quality PTZ camera.

The 4MP versions of PTZ cameras do not mention the sensor brand, just the sensor size typically 1/3". Do any PTZ 10X+ optical zoom cameras use name brand sensors?
Welcome @AlanH

I agree with Parley - do not get the 4MP 1/3" sensor model. Go with a newer model. See the various reviews by members here on some to consider.

Model IP4M-1053EW
Camera
Image Sensor 1/3” CMOS

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do any PTZ 10X+ optical zoom cameras use name brand sensors?
I don’t know if it’s made it to their PTZ models yet, but Dahua/Hikvision have recently started using a newer 4MP 1/1.8” sensor in many of their low-light models. I haven’t seen the brand name published, but it’s out performing the 2MP 1/2.8” Sony STARVIS image sensor.

Also, just to make things that much more confusing, there is a new 1/3” image sensor that does much better in low light than the previous version that gets warnings about not using. I’ve only seen it used by Dahua so far.

Last edited:

ArmoredDragon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don’t know if it’s made it to their PTZ models yet, but Dahua/Hikvision have recently started using a newer 4MP 1/1.8” sensor in many of their low-light models. I haven’t seen the brand name published, but it’s out performing the 2MP 1/2.8” Sony STARVIS image sensor.

Also, just to make things that much more confusing, there is a new 1/3” image sensor that does much better in low light than the previous version that gets warnings about not using. I’ve only seen it used by Dahua so far.
Have the newer sensors made it into their PTZ cameras yet? Is it best to wait on ordering an expensive PTZ camera until this does happen, or is it likely to happen at all?