Why are there so many updates?

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It seems like there is an update every day or two. I have never seen this from any other software. Not that's a big problem. but updating the program every day doesn't seem. practical. Am I missing something?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Would you rather BI wait and do it once a year or only a couple times a year?

Sometimes updates come out quickly because someone updates and based on their system there is a bug that wasn't on the BI developers setup. Or someone puts in a request for something and they can do it and roll it out instead of holding onto all the updates for 6 months. I know I have asked for an improvement in the past and he corresponded with me and later that day or the next he pushed out an update adding the feature I requested.

Most of us only update when BI adds a feature we want or need. You are under no obligation to update and the updates are not for security updates, simply new features and bug fixes.

I am still on the update version when it was on Deepstack before it switched to CodeProject - why - because my system is rock solid and does what I need for it to do. Will I update - yeah at some point when he adds something I want or need.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It seems like there is an update every day or two. I have never seen this from any other software. Not that's a big problem. but updating the program every day doesn't seem. practical. Am I missing something?
The constant updates are the best part of blue iris. It is the epitome of practical. If there is a new feature a user wants and he implements it, it is ready to go. Why wait? He is adding features without waiting months for testing. YOU are in control. YOU chose when to update. That is why there are stable updates and cutting edge updates.
This is a HUGE problem for folks with update OCD who have not taken their meds. For them, they should move to another vms that offers updates once or twice a year.

You should disable auto updates. It is foolish not to.

BigFoot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My BI machine 'bricked' itself on a BI update last year and has been off-line since, and I've been too unwell to sort it out. The machine won't even boot up now

As soon as I start to feel better (cancer & chemotherapy treatment) I'll take a look at it more earnestly

I've kinda got the feeling its going to be a full software rebuild from Windows up. I really need to look out the correct usb stick with all the camera configs on it .... failing that I'll be resetting all my camera's & starting again from scratch with a fresh BI install

Still, on the positive side it'll allow me to add (from scratch) my increasingly growing collection of additional IP camera's I've won on ebay since Christmas :)