Why do people keep their car door's unlocked, or

R L

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
have valuables easier shown to the exterior? Then get broken into. I don't get it. Living in Mayberry? A little common sense goes a long way here, and a hell of a lot cheaper

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
People first and foremost are lazy. Secondly people lack "common" sense. Thirdly some people just forget.

Just based upon my personal experiences with cars being broken into I'd go with around 60% of people who leave their cars unlocked are just plain lazy. 30% lack the common sense to actually lock their cars or even take in or hide their valuables and 10% genuinely forget or thought they locked their cars.

dudemaar

Known around here
Reaction score
So they don’t bust your windows or your locks. Or baiting ?

Last edited:

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Or people who leave the car running with keys in the ignition! Vehicle thefts are way up here in MN from people warming their cars without remote start. Or leaving the keys in while running into the gas station. It only takes a few seconds for your car to be gone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Simple answer - every human being including on earth (including you and me) are guilty on this-> "Taking thing for granted"

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My wife does it all the time....She says with nothing much of value inside, whatever someone takes would be cheaper than replacing a smashed window. :facepalm:

Kb6969a

n3wb
Reaction score
I leave my car unlock because after the 4th time being broken into and paying to have it fixed. It is cheaper to leave it open with nothing of value in it.

The crims will check my car out without damaging it. If they want to take the car, doors locked or not, they will take it.

This way I'm saving a few $$$ and my time sorting out the damage by leaving my car open.

Reaction score
Hard Choice. Either pay $100 glass repair fee and cleanup broken glass every time some punk "thinks" they see something inside the vehicle or leave the doors unlocked and let them rummage and try to not leave anything valuable in any car left outside.

Although recently I have been seeing more nextdoor report of perps just kicking in garage doors (that'll set you back a couple hundred $$ to repair) and rummaging through cars within garages. Not much to be done, our local police are always overloaded with real crime, don't have time to chase down every minor theft.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Po-Po won't even mess with a report here in St. Louis unless it is tied to a carjacking or murder...which seems to be more the norm in this city now...and even then there are so many nothing ever gets solved. A year or two ago a guy shot 2 kids stealing stuff out of his car and served no time. The news portrayed them all cute like as "youngsters rummaging for change"...such BS. By 13 they are hardened gang member killer thugs. Kids under 15 around here are in the news every week for shooting women, babies and any bystander in their way and now we're seeing more highway driving shootings. Cops can't keep up or do much of anything and the laws keep reducing their authority. I would not recommend ever confronting like that guy and risking being shot yourself...Anyway, that's my rant.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hard Choice. Either pay $100 glass repair fee and cleanup broken glass every time some punk "thinks" they see something inside the vehicle or leave the doors unlocked and let them rummage and try to not leave anything valuable in any car left outside.

Although recently I have been seeing more nextdoor report of perps just kicking in garage doors (that'll set you back a couple hundred $$ to repair) and rummaging through cars within garages. Not much to be done, our local police are always overloaded with real crime, don't have time to chase down every minor theft.
This is what happens when cheap tin can thin garage doors are used....don't do that.
They won't kick my garage door in.