Why do some of my wifi cams reconnect after a router channel change and some not?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have several wifi cameras and I occasionally need to switch my wireless router channel due to interference. Why is it that some of my wifi cams automatically reconnect to the new router channel and some do not (those require a power cycle to reconnect to the new channel).
Is there some obscure setting on those cams that don't auto reconnect I'm not seeing?

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
There wouldn’t typically be a setting for that. It really depends on the camera manufacturer but I have seen that behavior before on devices where a channel change isn’t “handled properly” and a reboot is required. How often are you moving channels? Do you have any idea on what the source of interference is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I live in a pretty rich wifi area, so lots of channels in the area and I'm guessing that when I hit on a decent channel, eventually (weeks later) someone else's router auto changes their channel to mine. That's my guess anyway.
If I could find some reliable/reputable 5ghz cams, I'd probably switch them out because those frequencies are pretty open in my area.
The only 5ghz cams I usually see are Reolink and I'm not happy with the one I use in my attic (too flaky) so I'll keep my eyes open for new 5ghz outdoor cams.
Thanks

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Absolutely no way to hardwire them? That would solve the whole problem long-term.
No way, they are too far away from the outdoor router (on the side of the house). Other than running a cable underground (which I don't want to do) or stringing it through trees to the owl house, it's just not feasable.
Both are LAView cameras and both actually do very well with the connection/quality so I'm very happy with that. The one that eventually auto reconnects to a new channel is their bullet cam: LV-PWB2020-W
The one that doesn't auto reconnect is a LV-PC902F2-W
The only thing I can see (network related) that is offered/different on the bullet is that multicast discovery is enabled. I don't think that has anything to do with it, right?

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you looked at using a 5G wifi range extender that has an internet port. Or an Ubiquiti nano station.
I am actually using a Ubiquiti access point on the outside of my house... the cams are about 40' from that location so wifi signal is great, just need to switch channels every few weeks/months for 2.4ghz where I probably wouldn't need to on the 5ghz band.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
The 5G is the bridge portion

marklyn

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It doesn't look like these cameras support 5g, unless maybe you mean 5g as a bridge only connection.
I know Southern Yankee was talking about a 5G range extender... That would be overkill for what I'm wanting... it's only 40' from my current AP to the cams, but a hard 40' to get to underground or stringing cable. I need/want a wifi solution with current equipment first and 5ghz replacement cameras secondary... or at least that's my thinking.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The 5G range extender has an Ethernet port, you connect the camera to the Ethernet port so the camera is on 5G, not 2.4 . You do not use the camera wifi. You then do not need to change channels.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your current Unifi AP (AC-M?) set up as a wireless link? If so, could you move it next to the camera and use it as a WiFi bridge? You could simply plug your camera into the ethernet port and stop using the camera's own wifi.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If none of that works just click the reconnect button for each camera in the controller software. If that’s where you are making the channel change.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I believe that only works if the camera was already connected.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe. I have a couple of indoor Wi-Fi cams that occasionally act up and it has worked for me.