Why do you have TWO cameras in one location.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When putting two cameras in one place, not including big PTZ cameras, can you have one Ethernet cable and split the POE and data at the end with something fitting in a small junction box? Or do you need to run a 2nd cable?
These work very well if you do not want to run a 2nd cable...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

camviewer43

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it awkward to have cameras on public spaces? I just installed mine, and it's pointed down a long driveway, so I have a bit of the street/sidewalk, but it's too far to recognize faces, so for the most part they're still anoymous. If someone walks up the drive way, they'll have to walk all the way to the back of the house where I can start seeing faces at that point.

I don't know, for me, I would rather not have my face recorded when I'm just taking a walk in my neighborhood. If I walk up to someone's door, yeah I expect some people to have front door cameras and such. But not just out on the sidewalk or walking down the street.

Reaction score
Is it awkward to have cameras on public spaces? I just installed mine, and it's pointed down a long driveway, so I have a bit of the street/sidewalk, but it's too far to recognize faces, so for the most part they're still anoymous. If someone walks up the drive way, they'll have to walk all the way to the back of the house where I can start seeing faces at that point.

I don't know, for me, I would rather not have my face recorded when I'm just taking a walk in my neighborhood. If I walk up to someone's door, yeah I expect some people to have front door cameras and such. But not just out on the sidewalk or walking down the street.
The reason for zooming way out to the street or sidewalk is because the police cannot use your footage to identify someone if they had to, because just an overview camera doesn't show features good enough when you zoom the image in close. Some times criminals will case your house first before they do anything. So if they walk by on the street, then cover their face with a mask and come back to your house, you will have their face picture before they covered their face. If they (police) never need to use your camera footage, then no one but you will ever see the faces that were recorded. I don't care if my face is on someones camera, but every one is different.

Reaction score
No one really has an expectation of privacy in a public space, especially walking down a street. You may have to check your local laws with regard to recording audio, however, especially outside in public spaces and particularly if you are not a party to the conversation.

Last edited:

J Sigmo

Known around here
Reaction score
When putting two cameras in one place, not including big PTZ cameras, can you have one Ethernet cable and split the POE and data at the end with something fitting in a small junction box? Or do you need to run a 2nd cable?
It's always best to run multiple cables to every location. Each camera should ideally have its own cable the whole run.

If you have power available at the endpoint, though, and a place to put it, you could put a POE Ethernet switch at that end and then run separate shorter cables from there to the cameras mounted in that location.

Cable is cheap. Your labor and the pain in the butt of running it is the real "cost". It's about the same labor to run several cables to a given location as it is to run just one. Spend the money on cable up front and always run more than you think you'll need to every point.

Optimus Prime

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well... I already ran all the cable, and I ran more than I needed. Sometimes I want to try out a new toy...

Trev5

n3wb
Reaction score
Agree on the two camera strategy and used it for many years:
The wide angle camera is good as an overview of what's been going on....
Then have a second camera zoomed in at a pinch point, to ID someone or get car number plate.

As for cables, the two camera's don't necessary need to be in the exact same location, as long as they both point at the end of the drive.