Why does buying Dahua seem so sketchy?

Jagradang

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just to add to this - I'm from the UK, Purchased from Andy and the service was amazing. After sales fantastic. Can easily get hold of him for any issues and is very supportive to resolve issues. Great guy!

I looked at a local retailer, they were twice the price, didn't offer warranty, seemed very shadey.

Any one sceptical about purchasing from him - don't be just do it :).

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
FYI -

1) We are purchasing items in a legit manner. US law does not allow companies to control their products once sold. US supreme court has even vindicated the "first sale" doctrine in 2013 - when John WIley & Sons attempted to stop the importation of textbooks from Thailand by student-entrepreneur Supap Kirtsaeng.
This is actually very relevant (and correct).

Customs/taxation issues aside, the First Sale Doctrine decision is incredibly important to what all of us do as consumers. A lot of companies have tried to exert insane control over their items, going as far as to try to ban the selling of used items on eBay.

A vast majority of the equipment we buy via contacts in China/HK on this forum is "gray market."
Grey market - Wikipedia

And while quoting Wikipedia is a lot less persuasive than quoting a Supreme Court case...

Grey market goods are legal, non-counterfeit goods sold outside normal distribution channels by entities which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. This form of parallel import frequently occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another. This commonly takes place with electronic equipment such as cameras. Entrepreneurs buy the product where it is available cheaply, often at retail but sometimes at wholesale, and import it legally to the target market. They then sell it at a price high enough to provide a profit but below the normal market price. International efforts to promote free trade, including reduced tariffs and harmonized national standards, facilitate this form of arbitrage whenever manufacturers attempt to preserve highly disparate pricing.​

Andy has a great reputation here, and he has earned it.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I corresponded with Andy on a Saturday (his early Sunday) and my cameras were through customs and at my door here in the northeast US on Thursday. Both cameras are working great with no issues so far. Big thumbs up for Andy.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I feel more comfortable dealing with Andy than I do buying off FleaBay and a lot of Amazon suppliers. I know I'll get exactly what I ordered and it will be high quality. If there's a problem, it might be a little more difficult to resolve, but I'm confident Andy will stand behind what he has sold to me. Yeah, FleaBay and Amazon have return and dispute policies, but they're slow, frustrating and a PITA. Overall, I guess it's kind of a gamble or crap shoot, but I feel comfortable with the odds dealing with Andy, and I've only bought one camera so far.

zerach

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here, only bought a few cameras off of Andy, and Ill do it again. This forum has done more for Dahua then they will likely ever know. I bought off Andy and his business on recomendations from this forum, not just from the Americas, but all over the world as from the comments of the gents above. All say basically the same thing, shipping time is near magical and Andy is incredibly hard worker has to be for that level of consistency, and a quality guy! In the business world thats a rare find. My experience with him was spot on! I also believe Andy does his absolute best QC before he ships to limit those bad batches and manufacturing issues as much as he can.

Wish him all the best in the new year
I am from Canada and fully support EpC!

Dudester

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I ordered from Andy late Thursday evening central time, DHL knocked on door this tuesday evening with 3 HDW 5231-ZE turrits. With going into a weekend and over a holiday, now that’s service.