Why does Ubiquiti only offer 1-year warranty on their products when other companies offer lifetime warranty?

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Why does Ubiquiti only offer 1-year warranty on their products when other companies (i.e. Pro/Enterprise Netgear, TP Link, etc.) offer lifetime warranty?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Why does Ubiquiti only offer 1-year warranty on their products when other companies (i.e. Pro/Enterprise Netgear, TP Link, etc.) offer lifetime warranty?
because its cheaper for them and they have determined that a longer warranty would not increase sales enough to cover the additional cost. Be wary of "lifetime" warranties that requires original proof of purchase.
I cant recall the last time ive had a router or switch die. The warranty should not be a factor in your purchasing decision.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight; I haven't experience any hardware failures yet, but I did recently stumble across a few reviews from folks experiencing hardware failures on Ubiquiti equipment shortly after the warranty period was up. Probably had to with inexperienced installation (i.e. poor ventilation, bad crimping, etc).

because its cheaper for them and they have determined that a longer warranty would not increase sales enough to cover the additional cost. Be wary of "lifetime" warranties that requires original proof of purchase.
I cant recall the last time ive had a router or switch die. The warranty should not be a factor in your purchasing decision.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve also experienced some serious POE issues with their 16-port switch. Steer clear of it as I’ve read it’s been an ongoing issue with the 16-port switch only. I had to return it and go with 2 8-port switches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol, I noticed the price drop on their 16-port PoE switch; that's what got me starting this thread. I do use some of Ubiquiti's equipment, but when I had to expand on a dedicated PoE switch I opted for TP-Link. I thought about removing TP-Link and consolidating everything into UniFi, but what concerns me is some of the report hardware failures on Ubiquiti switches (i.e. US-16-150W)

I’ve also experienced some serious POE issues with their 16-port switch. Steer clear of it as I’ve read it’s been an ongoing issue with the 16-port switch only. I had to return it and go with 2 8-port switches.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Lol, I noticed the price drop on their 16-port PoE switch; that's what got me starting this thread. I do use some of Ubiquiti's equipment, but when I had to expand on a dedicated PoE switch I opted for TP-Link. I thought about removing TP-Link and consolidating everything into UniFi, but what concerns me is some of the report hardware failures on Ubiquiti switches (i.e. US-16-150W)
The ironic part is the problem on the 16-port switch is faulty passive POE. What do most of Ubiquiti products use? They use passive

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

I hope you added some additional cooling to the 8 port model, they run extremely hot.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Me too — my 16-port PoE switch will kill power to the ports when there’s a thunderstorm nearby. I orig. thought it was something with my Ethernet wiring but I’ve temp had two other brand PoE switches in for awhile and they had no problems. Folks on the community are reporting that Rev 13 boards don’t have the problem.

My switch is a year out of warranty and they OK’ed a second advanced-ship RMA so I could get a Rev 13 unit. Unfortunately they sent me a Rev 11 unit so I’m in the same spot I was. I’m holding with that until thunderstorm season starts up again then I’ll send them some more logs from this RMA unit and see what they say.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Price drop is because of the generation 2 release. If you are venturing down the ui road you arn't normally one to be skimping by on pennies or looking for the "cheapest option". Just go with the 24 port gen 2 if you are serious.

If you are really concerned toss one of these in for good measure

or crazy concerned

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just go with the 24 port gen 2 if you are serious.
Hope folks read the details and understand that only 16 of those 24 ports are PoE (for the $379 120W model). I doubt many folks are going to spring for the $699 450W model where all 24 ports are PoE.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Hope folks read the details and understand that only 16 of those 24 ports are PoE (for the $379 120W model). I doubt many folks are going to spring for the $699 450W model where all 24 ports are PoE
Exactly why that is what I recommended - for the ui name, unifi platform, gen 2 hardware with touch screen (yes it's a novelty but honestly, it provides you with a ton of info if you're interested), you can't beat the 24 port feature set at that price. It's also only $80 more than the 16 port (which only has 8 poe ports). So it's honestly a great value IMO. Ubiquiti | Democratizing Professional Network Technology

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just had a Ubiquiti 48 port 500 watt PoE switch die, the power supply is faulty. $800 down the drain since it's 1 year out of warranty. They don't sell replacement parts.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Something to keep in mind is possibly how you purchased. For example - all my purchases on my Chase Visa or Amex extend all manufacture warranties an additional 1 year. Worth looking into IMO if you have a card with such benefits.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Important to note there is no passive POE support in the Gen2 switches. Something to keep in mind - especially if you have other Ubiquiti gear (like I do) which requires passive POE.