Why isn't there a standard bullet camera in 2.8mm lense?

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just thought about this. The widest lense I see now in the bullets/mini bullets is 4mm.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think there has never been. 2CD20xx have only been made 4mm and up, there has not been a 2.8mm version.

You might want to crak one open and change the lens yourself, but you will probably find out that you are either unable to focus the camera, or that you get a "tunnel" effect (you will get the corners of the image black).

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Interesting since they make varifocal bullets that start at 2.8mm.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, you said it, varifocal. The casing on the 2CD26xx is way bigger than the casing on a 2CD20xx, and the lens is completely different.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So what makes the big difference? The Hik turret that has a flat face like a bullet comes in 2.8mm.

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Probably because of the space between the sensor and the glass of the camera. Pics of the unassembled camera here:
http://www.cctvforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37006

You could try to change the lens on a 2CD20xx youself for a 2.8mm lens. Might it work? It sure might work. But as I said, you might be unable to focus the lens (it will hit the IR cut filter before it is in focus) or you might get a tunnel effect. I would be surprised that noone has tried it before.

On that thread you will see someone did change the 4mm lens for 6mm, 8mm and 12mm.
Quotes:
"The 1 / 2.5” format ensures that the lens introduces no dark corners in the image, and that the distortion is also lower because the lenses are using the most central part."
"The dimensions are very similar to the original lens of HIKVISION which will help to not collide with the front glass of the camera."

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Securame

Pulling my weight
Reaction score