Why should you run an extra ethernet cable to each installation location?

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my cameras and read this in the wiki:
In general, pull an extra category cable to each location where a device is planned, and leave a bit of extra slack on both ends of the cable, just in case you need to adjust placement.
. Why would I need to do this? Couldn't I just leave like 5-10 feet of slack on each side of the cable in case i need to adjust the placement of it? Why is it recommended to run an entire extra cable to the location?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Because we always end up needing more cameras or the wire goes out and you have a spare and don't have to run another.

Maybe you don't want a license plate camera now, but something happens and you decide you need one - a great place is right next to an existing camera, so a 2nd wire already there saves you time running another wire.

Many of us have added more cameras and wish that we had ran more cable at the original time! It is cheaper and more inefficient to run two at the same time. Worse case is you never use it, but most of us do LOL.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting ready to install my cameras and read this in the wiki: . Why would I need to do this? Couldn't I just leave like 5-10 feet of slack on each side of the cable in case i need to adjust the placement of it? Why is it recommended to run an entire extra cable to the location?
Trust us .. the labor is typically the most expensive .. and running an extra cable is typically only a small fraction of extra cost .. ( cable is far cheaper than labor ) ..

Even if you just one ONE more camera or ethernet connected devices to one location, it will pay for itself ..

Thus the N+1 or N+1+ rule for running cables ..

Having extra slack is nice, tho remember to have a reasonable balance .. too much slash not great .. too little very bad ..