Why turrets instead of bullets?

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I get that domes have problems with reflections and possibly more spider problems.

Why would you choose a turret over a bullet though? Is it still the increased separation between IR source and lens?

Kyle

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My choice to get a turret over a bullet was better IR coverage and A LOT less spider webs. Less likely to be knocked out of view too.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Smaller bullets use inferior IRs, larger bullet has more IR power aside from that its personal preference. I would not use turret or small bullet outdoors where night vision is important without some sort external light source anyway.

atom

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turrets can be less conspicuous than most bullets too.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Turrets typically have Matrix IR which can provide a nicer more even coverage then traditional IR.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Turrets typically have Matrix IR which can provide a nicer more even coverage then traditional IR.
How can you tell from looking at the product data? I don't think I have seen that term though I may have missed it.

I'm specifically interested in the HIK (LTS) 4 MP models.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@zero-degrees Who makes the turret with the black face in the video? Is that a Dahua?

Last edited by a moderator:

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
LTS is private label HIK. LTS does a little more then "slap there name on them" though...

LTS does all firmware writing and support in house, LTS provides the 3 year warranty, LTS provides the sales and technical support out of 5 or 6 offices across the US.

That black face camera I believe is one of here larger 3mp box cameras - there 4mp version has duel matrix IR behind a black face that gets additional IR distance. All the black face turrets are standard 1 matrix IR, and I have no clue why they do a custom black face color as it looks ugly as s* to me since the turret housing is white no matter what.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think turrets simply look better than bullets, so all mine are turrets :) They look cooler than domes, too, and no need to worry about possible IR reflection issues like with a dome.

horseflesh

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now that I look back at the LTS catalog, I see the word "matrix" everywhere. Duh! The video sure helped though, thanks.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been wondering about a potential problem with turrets. I have a lot of trouble with dirt dobbers AKA mud daubers where I live. That area between the camera and the base seems like the world's best place to attract these critters and their nests (mud piles). Also, spiders etc. Am I just dreaming up a problem here?

Maybe a periodic spraying of an insecticide would keep them out.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What exactly in the definition of a turret vs a dome? They all look the same to me!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Aside from shape differences, If the lens and IR aren't behind glass it's a turret.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been wondering about a potential problem with turrets. I have a lot of trouble with dirt dobbers AKA mud daubers where I live. That area between the camera and the base seems like the world's best place to attract these critters and their nests (mud piles). Also, spiders etc. Am I just dreaming up a problem here?

Maybe a periodic spraying of an insecticide would keep them out.
Yes it will. But some Talstar P concentrate and a good pump sprayer from Amazon. Works residually for months. Your wasp problems will be over.

Cuts down on spider problems substantially as well. Are the turrets better than bullet style cameras (e.g. 2032) with regard to spider webs.