Why Use a Router ?

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many people prefer Merlin, which is open source firmware that is constantly being updated. When was the last time your router (or Asus router) has had a firmware update?

Damn I just looked it up.

1. modem/router combo devices get their firmware from the isp. they're not updateable by the end user (owner). Sadly.

You cannot manually update your NETGEAR cable modem or modem router’s firmware.

NETGEAR provides your ISP with the latest firmware and your ISP updates your firmware.

If your firmware is out of date, contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) for assistance.

The following table displays the latest firmware versions of NETGEAR cable modems and modem routers.

Note: If your ISP is not listed in the following tables, advise your ISP to contact our sales engineering team using the following contact form: Cable MSO.

I never even tried to update it , but just now looking it up. That is some BS.

TheSwede

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Before you ev. buy a new router to get VPN possibilities, check that you have a public IP adress and not a CGNat'ed , CarrierGradeNat.

You check with "Whatsmyip.com" and log in to your router and check that the outside IP is the same as Whatsmyip...

If not you will never be able to VPN home.

Jay Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hate to sound cheap/broke. But I bought that Blue Cave for $65.

for a beginner, its probably hard to beat that.

as I get deeper into this Ipcam, I will definitely look into that Protectli Box running pfSense ($300)

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Nolesfan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hate to sound cheap/broke. But I bought that Blue Cave for $65.

for a beginner, its probably hard to beat that.

as I get deeper into this Ipcam, I will definitely look into that Protectli Box running pfSense ($300)
the more devices and cameras you have running, the more you will see the improvements in the processor power of a good router/gateway. Best of luck!