Why you might consider adding a LPR camera

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
TLDR; police were finally able to track down a porch pirate using a vehicle description and partial plate…despite having numerous Ring doorbell videos.

I was reading this article the other day and prior to finding this forum I wouldn’t have given it much thought. But now having more knowledge of cameras and the basic principles for DORI and placement, all I could think of was that if one of these folks in the neighborhood had a decent LPR they might have been able to catch this guy much sooner.

I think it’s pretty obvious the average thief is not concerned about a doorbell cam and that most of them really only offer a little bit of situational awareness.

Made me glad I just received my LPR437 from Andy a few weeks ago!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That's why I finally put mine up. We had a hit and run and then someone cutting off cats both within the same month on my block. My cams caught it happening but weren't much better than a Ring since they're not positioned well to watch neighbor's cars. They still aren't but now I get all traffic up and down the street so I can match things up if I need to.

JustAnotherCameraGuy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's why I finally put mine up. We had a hit and run and then someone cutting off cats both within the same month on my block. My cams caught it happening but weren't much better than a Ring since they're not positioned well to watch neighbor's cars. They still aren't but now I get all traffic up and down the street so I can match things up if I need to.
It’s great that folks share their real world experiences here. I think so many folks (and businesses!) approach security from a reactionary perspective, only addressing issues after an event occurs. With the information shared here it helps arm folks with knowledge from different scenarios and events that could occur, allowing them to use a more proactive approach when designing their system.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And of course one of many threads showing it producing real results.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
True, but they let me play with test cameras and manage the systems as nobody else wants to, so I have a camera test playground. Plus I have a couple of very close friends there still.
Funny I had to text them this morning to let them know their cars got burglarized last night and Im 20 miles away ;)

My current residence just doesnt have the distance to test much, but I like my backyard!

Mom_CAM 5_main_20230115161008_@2.jpg Mom_CAM 3_main_20230115160949_@2.jpg

Last edited:

Smilingreen

Known around here
Reaction score
True, but they let me play with test cameras and manage the systems as nobody else wants to, so I have a camera test playground. Plus I have a couple of very close friends there still.
Funny I had to text them this morning to let them know their cars got burglarized last night and Im 20 miles away ;)

My current residence just doesnt have the distance to test much, but I like my backyard!

View attachment 151035 View attachment 151037
Wait.......is that a snow shovel mounted on a post in the middle of the water??

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
LOL yeah
We get tour boats by 3-5 times per day.
The previous owner mounted it on a post and written facing the water is "Rust in Peace". Many of the tourists are from up north so they get a kick out of it and we left it there. :lmao: