Wide view Dahua cam?

CastleSurveillance

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Looking for a wide view camera to cover my front yard.

not really looking for a fish eye or multi sensor - what is my widest options with decent IR vision?

Reaction score
Look for something that has a 3.6mm or 2.8mm lens option (I use a 2.8mm IPC-HDBW4231F-AS [an older model] and I don't find it to be distorted, certainly not fisheye, but try an EYEBALL instead of a dome camera). You could also look at something with a manual varifocal lense so you could dial in your area of interest and not be locked into a specific lens angle.

Just realize that a wide angle camera like that is only good for overview, you can't actually ID someone unless they are almost on top of the camera. I know you mentioned you weren't interested in multiple sensors, but after using my wide angle 2MP starlight camera for a couple years I want to swap it out for a: IPC-PFW8802-A180 multi sensor with 180 degree field of view because crap always seems to happen "off camera"! So just recognize it's probably an eventuality you are going to want a lot more than just an overview camera.

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It seems that about 110 degrees horizontal is about the widest Field of View on the camera market, for single sensor, non-fisheye/panoramic/360 cameras. To get more horizontal FoV you have to use multiple cameras or one of the types I mentioned.