Wifi Camera recommendations/input

AweShucks

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an install which requires 1 cam on offset building where I cant get a wire to due to concrete. I typically use P2P wireless links and wired ip cams but this is only 40ft away so I bid a Wifi cam. Customer requests "small" cameras so size is an issue. $150 price range

I'm looking at the Hikvision Ds-2cd2512F-IWS mini dome does anyone have any experience with this cam in wifi mode? Connectivity good?

Is there another good option? Must be compatible to Dahua NVR. I have tried the Dahua WIFI Bullet before and wasn't happy with wifi connectivity. Please don't suggest Foscam or other

Thanks

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I had 2532F-IWS 2.8mm for a year as front porch cam, it's nice and small with excellent wifi connectivity. It did fine with the motion light, but IR on its own isn't great for large coverage and in the end half of the IRs burned out. As an alternative 2142FWD-IWS (or 2122FWD-IWS) dome isn't much bigger and you could probably find it cheaper

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there another good option? Must be compatible to Dahua NVR. I have tried the Dahua WIFI Bullet before and wasn't happy with wifi connectivity. Please don't suggest Foscam or other
Don't get a Hikvision then. Asking for trouble with the latest firmwares, they have enough issues getting to work with their own older firmware stuff.

IPC-HD1200C-W - Around $120 or $180 if you are from rip-off britain (and EU).

Or IPC-HDPW4221F-W but I can't find a stockist.

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
How are you getting power to the cam? If you can get power there can you run a Cat Cable and get POE and ethernet there?

AweShucks

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't get a Hikvision then. Asking for trouble with the latest firmwares, they have enough issues getting to work with their own older firmware stuff.

IPC-HD1200C-W - Around $120 or $180 if you are from rip-off britain (and EU).

Or IPC-HDPW4221F-W but I can't find a stockist.

IPC-HD1200C-W Doesn't have I/R LED

Whats the issue with the Firmware on The Hikvisions? I've never had issues getting any ONVIF camera to work on a Dahua before? Granted not all features are available but as long as it records I'm ok with it.

AweShucks

n3wb
Reaction score
How are you getting power to the cam? If you can get power there can you run a Cat Cable and get POE and ethernet there?
I do not have access or room in underground conduit to pull a shielded wire. They dry walled the conduit in.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
IPC-HD1200C-W Doesn't have I/R LED

Whats the issue with the Firmware on The Hikvisions? I've never had issues getting any ONVIF camera to work on a Dahua before? Granted not all features are available but as long as it records I'm ok with it.
He meant Chinese region cams which are pain in the butt to upgrade. If you stick with newer 4/2mp English ones or LTS brand it's not an issue

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
No, I also mean Hikvision cameras into Dahua NVRs and vice-versa. Actually the newer 2MP/4MP ones are even worse to get working. They won't be plug and play with any other brand of NVR.

But actually, because it's wireless you are going to have to mess around with it to get it to work anyway. So you might as well get a DS-2CD2532F-IWS

Btw, getting ONVIF to work with Dahua (wired) is not the same as getting Hikvision to work with Dahua.

AweShucks

n3wb
Reaction score
But actually, because it's wireless you are going to have to mess around with it to get it to work anyway. So you might as well get a DS-2CD2532F-IWS
So basically WIFI will require a run around regardless of brand? I'm use to that.... I'm not expecting plug n play

I don't typically do WIFI that is why I'm asking so thanks for all the input. Trust me if I could get a wire to it I would. Customers budget doesn't allow for p2p ubiqiti links and 40ft away is a waste of hardware IMO. That's why I ask for suggestions/input.

thanks again

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, so DS-2CD2132F-IWS is probably a better option. At least the IR will be better than the 25x2 range.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, so DS-2CD2132F-IWS is probably a better option. At least the IR will be better than the 25x2 range.
All these 3MP cams are old tech, newer 2MP or 4MP is the way to go.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All these 3MP cams are old tech, newer 2MP or 4MP is the way to go.
You know it's not that simple. OP originally looking at 1.3MP camera. 3MP fine for budget and requirements, no need to dish out for a newer WDR camera with very little added benefit.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
You know it's not that simple. OP originally looking at 1.3MP camera. 3MP fine for budget and requirements, no need to dish out for a newer WDR camera with very little added benefit.
Just to be clear you are recommending to get Chinese region cams that were released years ago which are a pain to upgrade and may actually not get any future firmware upgrades vs newer stuff which is not that much more and offers better nighttime IQ and easily identifiable as English region

MacNCheese

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
For residential I'd agree that going budget is probably ok, but we have all seen video on Facebook and the news where businesses are trying to identify a thief and all you see is a blocky image that no one is going to recognize. It's better if you can spend a little bit extra now than having to replace the whole camera in a year. But having said that, a budget cam is better than no cam.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just to be clear you are recommending to get Chinese region cams that were released years ago which are a pain to upgrade and may actually not get any future firmware upgrades vs newer stuff which is not that much more and offers better nighttime IQ and easily identifiable as English region
No, I'm not saying that am I. Never mentioned that once. But I would recommend an $80 one if it did the same job as a $150 one.

I'm trying to help OP out.

dalepa

Reaction score
What about using powerline? I've had good luck with the actiontec I had way to many wifi issues :(

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.