Wifi Cameras but no wifi computer help???

MrGee628

n3wb
Reaction score
Greetings to all. Newbee here and would to know a few things. Have 3 nest cameras that are connected to my wifi, running Blue Iris on Desktop not wifi equipped. Is there still a way to have the wifi signal from cams get received by the computer with some sort of adapter???

Was using a laptop but trying to setup a stationary desktop dedicated system. Wifi is Verizon gigabit with speeds 940/830 respectively. The computer does have a gigabit ethernet

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on Nest, wouldn't own that junk, but it does connect to your network by WiFi and therefore has an IP address, on your network, that can be found using a simple IP scanner. Once you have that, BI can use that address and scan it. Assuming it's ONVIF compatible it should be possible to configure them in BI.

MrGee628

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I wish I had done a better job on research but it sounded good at the time since I ever owned this type of setup before. I am a little over 500.00 in cams and 45.00 on BI software and a blazing I5 3440 desktop. Changing cams not an option so soon.

When using the laptop everything worked great until one day signal lost on 2 cams and have never returned. when looking at my cell phone on the nest server my cams are up and working fine. I set up BI with the RTMPS protocol and was advised by a help tech that BI has ended some customers RTMPS connections. Made no sense to me.

The version of program I have purchased allows over 64 cams but I can only view one....

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Like I said, download and install an IP scanner and find out what the addresses of your cameras is. I'm betting they are DHCP and have changed their addess for some reason.

Also, check the Wiki here. There's tons of great information and links to even more good information to get you pointed in the right direction.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I wish I had done a better job on research but it sounded good at the time since I ever owned this type of setup before. I am a little over 500.00 in cams and 45.00 on BI software and a blazing I5 3440 desktop. Changing cams not an option so soon.

When using the laptop everything worked great until one day signal lost on 2 cams and have never returned. when looking at my cell phone on the nest server my cams are up and working fine. I set up BI with the RTMPS protocol and was advised by a help tech that BI has ended some customers RTMPS connections. Made no sense to me.

The version of program I have purchased allows over 64 cams but I can only view one....
1 - changing the cameras IS an option...you can sell the nest cameras for MORE than it will cost to replace with a dahua starlight turret.
2- using nest with blue iris is nuts...the stream is sent to the cloud then you download it..waste of bandwidth...also when nest changes something your cameras will not work with BI -happens often.
3- you dont need a wifi equipped pc....the cameras connect to the router then the pc connects to the router..

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Listen to The Fenderman...dump that Nest 'o Junk now. Start again slowly with just a few cameras.

MrGee

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok... Ok... Ok,

I am dumping all my Nest Cams. I will post back when I have the dahua starlight turret.

Thank all who contributed to resolving my problem.