Wildlife cameras

Zennit

n3wb
Reaction score
I’d like to setup some wildlife cameras in my garden, I’d like them to support colour at night so they need a decent aperture so they can run without any light that would scare the wildlife away.

I would ideally like to use Poe and setup something like zoneminder to detect motion and then potentially send the footage to an ai model to identify the animals.

looking around it seems the colorvu range might be a good fit but are there any other options worth looking at?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you mentioned ColorVu, I wanted to point out that many people have come here after buying the Hikvision ColorVu series (or any full color type camera) expressing their disappointment in the picture quality of the camera because they were expecting magic. If you do not have ambient light outside or do not like the white LED lights on, you are better off with cameras that can see infrared. ColorVu type cameras cannot see infrared, so you can't add infrared later.

Here is link to a thread of many that shows the disappointment of many thinking a ColorVu camera was magic and could defy physics. Full Color type cameras are great if you have light, but will be horrible if you do not have enough light.

There seems to be more posts started here with complaints about the Hik version at night than the 4K/X. If you want a full color, the 4K/X is a better choice.

Or maybe the people that buy the Hikvision version are naive and think they are magic and the ones that buy the 4K/X are educated as to the proper placement for this type of camera LOL...

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.