Will Dedicate Unmanaged Switch Reduce Bandwidth Conjestion?

Ctbrown

n3wb
Reaction score
I have two POE switches (collectively connected to 6 IP Cams) and one NVR (Amcrest NV4108-HS) all connected directly to a 16-Port unmanaged switch. The 16-Port switch is the main backbone of my home network and is already connected to a ton of other things including WIFI APs and other switches which are in turn connected to Roku's, PCs, HTPCs etc. The question is having a dedicated unmanaged switch connecting the POE switches and NVR to the 16-Port switch would physically isolate the traffic between the cameras and NVR, therby reducing bandwidth on the 16-port switch?

Note, I currently have not experienced any know bandwidth issue, but would like to expand the number of cameras in the future.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two POE switches (collectively connected to 6 IP Cams) and one NVR (Amcrest NV4108-HS) all connected directly to a 16-Port unmanaged switch. The 16-Port switch is the main backbone of my home network and is already connected to a ton of other things including WIFI APs and other switches which are in turn connected to Roku's, PCs, HTPCs etc. The question is having a dedicated unmanaged switch connecting the POE switches and NVR to the 16-Port switch would physically isolate the traffic between the cameras and NVR, therby reducing bandwidth on the 16-port switch?

Note, I currently have not experienced any know bandwidth issue, but would like to expand the number of cameras in the future.
if your switch is gigabit, you are not going to run into any issues..save your money..