Will this network setup work with EmpireTech NVR 8CH-AI and my 2 existing PoE switches

Reaction score
Hello,

See attachment please.

As the title suggest, I am trying to see if this setup will work to add a EmpireTech NVR 8XCH-AI (non PoE) and some Andy cams to my existing setup that includes Cat6 cabling thats already in the locations listed and existing PoE switches.

I watched the NVR setup youtube videos on this forum for connecting everything to a network and it appears I can connect one of my existing PoE switches directly to the Asus router and the other PoE switch directly to the Asus node (mesh network) and then cameras at different locations to the closest PoE switches. Also, I would connect the NVR to the node making everything connected to the network. This would allow me to not have to run any more cabling (use existing) or re-position any existing switches. Is this correct?

(Ignore the faint pencil line from the main router to PoE switch above it..I couldn't erase any harder..lol)

Thank you!

Attachments

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi there. What you have posted would work but your cameras will be on your network. You’d want to put the appropriate security measures in place on your ASUS gear.

Can you get runs back from the POE switches to another switch and into NVR? That way you can physically separate the cameras on to their own network. Assuming you have dual NICs on that NVR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Hi there. What you have posted would work but your cameras will be on your network. You’d want to put the appropriate security measures in place on your ASUS gear.

Can you get runs back from the POE switches to another switch and into NVR? That way you can physically separate the cameras on to their own network. Assuming you have dual NICs on that NVR.

Thanks for the reply. Forgive me in advance for my lack of networking knowledge ( still learning lol) but if you are asking could I remove the connection from the PoE switch to the asus node (loft area) and instead run another cable to connect that switch and the other PoE switch (basement area)directly to another non PoE switch in the basement and then connect that into the NVR, yes I can do that. In terms of dual NIC, I assume the NVR has because I see people on here separating the camera network from the home network all the time. What do you think?

thanks again.

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Forgive me in advance for my lack of networking knowledge ( still learning lol) but if you are asking could I remove the connection from the PoE switch to the asus node (loft area) and instead run another cable to connect that switch and the other PoE switch (basement area)directly to another non PoE switch in the basement and then connect that into the NVR, yes I can do that. In terms of dual NIC, I assume the NVR has because I see people on here separating the camera network from the home network all the time. What do you think?

thanks again.
Just checked the specs for the NVR on Andy’s site, it only has 1 NIC. You’d have to install per your diagram and run cameras in your network along with the NVR. You can’t physically separate on a 2nd camera network.

wezal15

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Read through these too.

Reaction score
Just checked the specs for the NVR on Andy’s site, it only has 1 NIC. You’d have to install per your diagram and run cameras in your network along with the NVR. You can’t physically separate on a 2nd camera network.

thanks @wezal15 Now that I think of it, the set up videos I have watched were PoE NVR which obviously can put cameras on its own seperate network since it has a built-in switch right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, that is one advantage of a PoE NVR

The NVRs only have one NIC

As to your other questions, I'm not a networking guru. I learn much the hard way by plugging shit in and seeing if it works ;)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
A PoE NVR can accept and record/display cameras from both an external switch (on the same network as the NVR) AND/OR cameras plugged directly into the NVR PoE ports. Or Both simultaneously.

Reaction score
A PoE NVR can accept and record/display cameras from both an external switch (on the same network as the NVR) AND/OR cameras plugged directly into the NVR PoE ports. Or Both simultaneously.
So in this scenario, would this work. I swap out my POE switch in the garage area for a regular switch and plug all those cameras in the garage area into that switch. Then run the cable from that switch down into the basement and connect directly to one of the POE ports on the NVR. Purchase a PoE NVR instead, place in basement and plug any camera I can get into the basement area (easy runs) directly into the PoE NVR. PoE NVR then connected to main router in basement.

Now I have a PoE network that could separate itself from my main home network??

I guess I didn’t realize you can have multiple cameras plugged into an unmanaged switch, and then that switch that’s carrying those cameras plugged into only one POE port on the NVR.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Wait you're getting into something different.

I was talking about multiple cameras plugged into a switch on the local network. For instance I have 3 cams on a switch on the local LAN of 192.168.1.X. Each is assigned a LAN address in that range as any other device on the network. Those can be discovered by the NVR assuming its ALSO on the local LAN
Then I can ALSO have cams plugged straight into the NVR PoE ports as well.

Not sure that would work. Plugging multiple cameras into a single PoE port on the NVR has been done, but there is a limit. If nothing else, the PoE ports have a max power output of like 25 w

Reaction score
Wait you're getting into something different.

I was talking about multiple cameras plugged into a switch on the local network. For instance I have 3 cams on a switch on the local LAN of 192.168.1.X. Each is assigned a LAN address in that range as any other device on the network. Those can be discovered by the NVR assuming its ALSO on the local LAN
Then I can ALSO have cams plugged straight into the NVR PoE ports as well.

Not sure that would work. Plugging multiple cameras into a single PoE port on the NVR has been done, but there is a limit. If nothing else, the PoE ports have a max power output of like 25 w
I’m tracking you now. Understood. Thank a lot.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Two options to separate that I can think of otherwise, and I’ve no experience with them:

1- a VLAN on your router. ?
2- a relatively inexpensive ($350) firewall/router box like I recently purchased (Firewalla) which allows you do do similar but better. I’m still experimenting with it

I got this initially just to be able to see and manage Bandwidth usage. But its actually a powerful and easy to use device.
Firewalla Purple: Gigabit Cyber Security Firewall & Router with WiFi Protecting Your Family and Business (Ships Worldwide)

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^
From Above

Network Segmentation

Network segmentation divides your network into regions with dynamic and static policies/rules. The Purple will support VLAN-based segmentation.

• Actively quarantine any device and restrict its behavior on the network
  • Segment important devices from the rest
  • Apply policies to manage segment to segment traffic
  • Great for creating a network for “work” and another for “kids”

Reaction score
Two options to separate that I can think of otherwise, and I’ve no experience with them:

1- a VLAN on your router. ?
2- a relatively inexpensive ($350) firewall/router box like I recently purchased (Firewalla) which allows you do do similar but better. I’m still experimenting with it,
I appreciate your input.

I was trying to avoid this because I’m lazy around the holidays but With some elbow grease, I could technically get network cables from my four cameras in garage area down into my basement, and then simply plug them each into the back of a POE NVR. Likewise, plug cameras whose network cables are already in the basement, into PoE ports on PoE NVR. Problem solved and now cameras on seperate network right?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras themselves are now isolated and protected, but remember, the NVR is still on your home LAN... unless you do one of the 2 ideas above.