Will this work?

ExTechjunkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
CPU and GPU utilization with BI motion detection off and ONVIF trigger on.png
The screen shot above reflects 13 POE cams (12 H.265, 1 H.264) pushing 682MP/s. I can get that down to 500MP/s by reducing resolution and framerate on 3 cams. All the "optimizing BI" steps have been employed (direct to disk, Intel+VPP decoding, etc.). I'm relying on the cams for motion detection to mimic what my NVR is/was doing. Using BI motion detection did not seem to increase CPU utilization at all.

This box is also my Plex media server and I'm presently posting this from it as well.

By all accounts everything is working well, but it's only been two days.

Am I good? Or am I asking too much of this PC?

Note that I don't intend to "grow" the system at all, but I will ultimately want push notifications sent to the mobile app if this is to replace my NVR. Oh, I'll want to be able to use the "talk" feature of my doorbell cam and possibly two others through the mobile app. That's supported, right? I haven't tried it yet, I'm still on the demo of the PC software.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What processor are you running? I do not think you are using all the optimizations - are you running substreams? Unless this is seriously underpowered computer or a laptop, that is high for 13 cams.

A member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation 4790 at sub 30% CPU

Post a screenshot of your camera settings screen from BI that shows how the 500MP/s is calculated.

ExTechjunkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What processor are you running? I do not think you are using all the optimizations - are you running substreams? Unless this is seriously underpowered computer or a laptop, that is high for 13 cams.

A member here is running 50 cameras on a 4th generation 4790 at sub 30% CPU

Post a screenshot of your camera settings screen from BI that shows how the 500MP/s is calculated.

Not using substreams - prefer to see the main stream in all my camera group views. All the cams set to higher than 2MP are anamorphic resized to 1080p.

CPU is shown in the top right corner of the pic above.

Megapixels per second is the calculated sum of:
9 cams at 2MP x 20 fps
2 cams at 4MP x 24 fps
1 cam at 5MP x 20 fps
1 cam at 2MP at 15 fps

Blue Iris CPU utilization accounts for 45-55% CPU. The rest comes from everything else my PC is doing, including running Plex Media Server.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So then you are not using ALL the optimizations....

Dang are you projecting them onto a movie screen LOL...I doubt you can see a difference when all the cameras are on one screen like a standard monitor or tablet or phone, but to each their own LOL.

What happens on playback with all the cameras showing at once - I bet your system maxes CPU then....substreams are used for more than live view and are really important on playback...

ExTechjunkie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So then you are not using ALL the optimizations....

Dang are you projecting them onto a movie screen LOL...I doubt you can see a difference when all the cameras are on one screen like a standard monitor or tablet or phone, but to each their own LOL.

What happens on playback with all the cameras showing at once - I bet your system maxes CPU then....substreams are used for more than live view and are really important on playback...

I've got them on a 50" display. My substreams are really low quality (for my NVR's sake) and are barely passable on a phone display. I'm checking out Blue Iris to see if I can do without them entirely. So far, the webservice provides a decent quality 1080p stream in a 4-cam group view and it looks as good as the original in solo cam view. Viewing 12 at once in a remote web browser, well, I might as well be viewing on an Atari 2600. I haven't tried that with substreams enabled - I assume it would use the substreams for remote live multi-cam view, but I wouldn't waste disk space recording them, so playback would still have to use the main stream.

CPU (and GPU) utilzation doesn't seem to be affected by how many cams I display. It spikes momentarily to around 80% when I change groups, but settles in between low 40's- mid 50's afterward. CPU and GPU utilization observed in task manager is about the same even when BI is minimized to the system tray.

I admit I'm curious to see what a clean Win10 build can do, but my intent was for BI to fit along side everything else presently running on this old mule. The OS image has been through many in-place OS upgrades and migrations from PC to PC over the years. It's got some serious bloat, but if I can't shoe-horn BI into it, I'll just keep using my NVR. My goal is to make use of what I've got, not to add a single-use PC to the mix. I guess you can kind of say I'm having fun with the demo. (Staying up till 2AM on a work night tinkering with software is fun?)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, we love tinkering with Blue Iris...you will find it way more robust than an NVR!

It's still new, but you will get to the point like many of us and try other optimizations to bring the CPU down - that is a game almost in itself LOL.

It does record the substream as well and that is where a major savings is had is during multicamera playback. Prior to substreams, most systems would max out CPU during playback.

Depending on your cams, you may have substream options that are better quality and will be more efficient and less CPU than anamorphic resized to 1080p.