Win 10 which version

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've got to buy a copy of Win OS. Still really like my Win 7 pro but because of future MS support seems like I might as well go with Win 10. Question is will Win 10 64bit Home version do the job for Blue Iris? Don't want to buy pro version if not needed.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You still have about 7 weeks for free upgrade.
This computer is a new build. I do run Win 7 Pro x64 on my business computer but I don't want to give that up for Win 10. I still am not crazy about going with 10 but support for 7 will end in a few years and for a dedicated camera system 10 should be fine.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
After my experience with Windows 8 I was hesitant to move to Windows 10. REAL HESITANT. Fenderman told me "stop whining, install Win10 and Classic Shell, and be done with it." I should have listened. I finally made the move from Win 7 to Win10 and I don't regret it. Classic Shell makes the move relatively seamless and 10 feels faster to me than both 7 (and 8). I've upgraded all of our office workstations now and our users have said stuff like "I love it," which is a phrase I've never heard with regards to a Windows OS upgrade. One thing: Microsoft followed the herd; the default installation destroys your privacy. Do a custom install and read through all of the privacy (or lack thereof) settings, nearly all of which I turn off. Moo.

bob2701

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Moving from 8 or 8.1 is a no brainier, 7 is a little tougher because there is a learning curve.

dryfly

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
After my experience with Windows 8 I was hesitant to move to Windows 10. REAL HESITANT. Fenderman told me "stop whining, install Win10 and Classic Shell, and be done with it." I should have listened. I finally made the move from Win 7 to Win10 and I don't regret it. Classic Shell makes the move relatively seamless and 10 feels faster to me than both 7 (and 8). I've upgraded all of our office workstations now and our users have said stuff like "I love it," which is a phrase I've never heard with regards to a Windows OS upgrade. One thing: Microsoft followed the herd; the default installation destroys your privacy. Do a custom install and read through all of the privacy (or lack thereof) settings, nearly all of which I turn off. Moo.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. And yes I've read of some of the tweaks on privacy and the classic shell. Heck with 7 I'm running the old XP look and the closer I can stay with that the happier I am. Not much for change. I understand what Bob is saying and don't think I'll have much trouble.

I've also read that after the upgrade MS provides a way to do a clean install. I definitely need to research that more because it means a lot to me.

My two upgrade machines are Win 7 Pro so my understanding is they will upgrade to Pro. On my new build I'm still thinking Home will work fine for a dedicated BI computer??????

thanks for the input

eandrews19

n3wb
Reaction score
I like windows 10 pro so I can remote desktop into it from my main pc. It does cost a bit more but in my opinion its worth it.