Win10 Fall Creators Update 1709 QlusterFuQ

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Installed Win10 Fall Creators Update 1709 yesterday. Although I approached the task as would a wounded wilder-beast approach the lion's watering hole, it was a slow day so I figured "WTF."

After 40 minutes, and after final restart, searching my IMAP and mailboxes...FAILED. Failed as in didn't work. As in no results. And -- upon closer inspection -- I found that the Windows Indexing Service had...disappeared. Gone. As in didn't appear to exist any more. Wasn't present in services.msc.

crazy.gif

A quick Google query revealed that, since September 2017, thousands of Windows suckers users have experienced the same issue. Delving a little deeper it seemed everyone was pretty much clueless as to how to fix the problem. It took some time, but a posted suggestion that I reinstall Outlook resolved the issue (after a reindex of one-million messages which took hours)...but of course I mistakenly installed Outlook Professional Plus on top of my previous vanilla Outlook Professional installation (and in the process lost my Outlook product key whereby I had to burn another Pro Plus key).

FuQ

microsoft-updates.jpg

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
One million emails? You sure you're not linked into my wife's account?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quite a few IMAP clients do a poor job of handling mailboxes with over 10,000 messages. On big mailboxes I've given up on client side searches. At times I've even had to limit the IMAP client to the last 10,000 messages. If it's any solace, reindexing mailboxes is a PITA with lots of other platforms and mail clients.

I used to keep a meticulous archive of all my email since I was 8, but a after a series of corrupted databases and hard drive failures I now only have email from about the last 13 years

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are you sure that number is only emails? Open the indexing options control panel directly and I bet it will show the same.
My bad, you're right @tangent. Outlook is also reporting files indexed on drives C:, E: and F: smiley9.gif

I am restating the number of emails indexed to: "Shitload" rof.gif

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quite a few IMAP clients do a poor job of handling mailboxes with over 10,000 messages. On big mailboxes I've given up on client side searches. At times I've even had to limit the IMAP client to the last 10,000 messages. If it's any solace, reindexing mailboxes is a PITA with lots of other platforms and mail clients.

I used to keep a meticulous archive of all my email since I was 8, but a after a series of corrupted databases and hard drive failures I now only have email from about the last 13 years
Good stuff @tangent. I archive my IMAP mailbox every year into a "20xx Inbox" and a "20xx Sent" folders in an Outlook PST. I have found Firebird to be much more capable handling large IMAP mail transfers, but I can't seem to let go of my PSTs.