Windows 10 as server - security?

timi2fly

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to BI software and currently setting up my server. I see that Windows 10 appears to be the most recommended OS in the forums here.

I am just wondering how you all go about automatically logging into Windows 10 and starting BI software.

I can set Windows up to sign in automatically, however I am concerned that this leaves the PC wide open from a security point of view. What are your thoughts on this or am I going about this the wrong way?

Regards,

Tim

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to BI software and currently setting up my server. I see that Windows 10 appears to be the most recommended OS in the forums here.

I am just wondering how you all go about automatically logging into Windows 10 and starting BI software.

I can set Windows up to sign in automatically, however I am concerned that this leaves the PC wide open from a security point of view. What are your thoughts on this or am I going about this the wrong way?

Regards,

Tim
Welcome to the forum. Whats the concern? Who has access to the pc?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you run it as a service nobody has to be logged in..

a NVR is not something you should be exposing to the internet; and physical security is a problem regardless of operating system.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

a NVR is not something you should be exposing to the internet; and physical security is a problem regardless of operating system.
In most of my installations, blue iris is set to open full screen display on startup as users use it to live monitor...its really a non issue...you have to be really paranoid to believe someone is going in there to tamper with recorded video...that said, if you wish, most business class pc's allow you to disable the usb ports in the bios...but simply removing the mouse and keyboard is generally sufficient...

timi2fly

n3wb
Reaction score
Fair points guys.

I guess the issue is when you are off site. NVR and recording is fine unless someone takes your server.

I guess it all comes down to having it locked down physically as well.

timi2fly

n3wb
Reaction score

What about the remote access function? The app is great.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fair points guys.

I guess the issue is when you are off site. NVR and recording is fine unless someone takes your server.

I guess it all comes down to having it locked down physically as well.
Taking the server is a completely different issue...it is very rare...particularly if you use a tower system...if you are concerned tie it down/lock it up/hide it and/or write a second video copy to a hidden nas...