Windows 10 installs get corrupted by BI-4

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on my 4th system in the past few months, and it's been stable now for 2 weeks since I stopped using the BI-4 "console" or "client". This system had self-destructed after about 4 days when I had the "console" constantly running. I restored the Windows 10 image and never run the "console" except to change a setting (and then I pray and try to quickly leave the console). The system is:
Windows 10, 64-bit Pro, with latest updates (not preview)
i5-6500
Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2PV with F5 bios (the latest), and using Intel on-board graphics
Corsair 500w power supply
8GB DDR3 1300 Kingston (2x of 4GB each)
Toshiba 500GB 2.5" Sata hard drive (previously I had two Sandisk SSDs and one Crucial SSD but their Windows installs were also destroyed to the point beyond repair)
No other software installed except Tight-VNC, Dropbox, Google Chrome
System is in an AC room, never more than 74*
Power is on a UPS

Note that I also have a separate system for about 1 year, with BI-4 and with 4 cameras, and never a problem - and that also never runs the BI "console" except as necessary. This Win-10 64-bit system also runs a variety of services like Plex, Tivo server, VNC, PRTG, Dropbox, Onedrive, iCloud

I'll repeat - it seems the problems occur when the BI "console" is run constantly.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm on my 4th system in the past few months, and it's been stable now for 2 weeks since I stopped using the BI-4 "console" or "client". This system had self-destructed after about 4 days when I had the "console" constantly running. I restored the Windows 10 image and never run the "console" except to change a setting (and then I pray and try to quickly leave the console). The system is:
Windows 10, 64-bit Pro, with latest updates (not preview)
i5-6500
Gigabyte GA-H110M-S2PV with F5 bios (the latest), and using Intel on-board graphics
Corsair 500w power supply
8GB DDR3 1300 Kingston (2x of 4GB each)
Toshiba 500GB 2.5" Sata hard drive (previously I had two Sandisk SSDs and one Crucial SSD but their Windows installs were also destroyed to the point beyond repair)
No other software installed except Tight-VNC, Dropbox, Google Chrome
System is in an AC room, never more than 74*
Power is on a UPS

Note that I also have a separate system for about 1 year, with BI-4 and with 4 cameras, and never a problem - and that also never runs the BI "console" except as necessary. This Win-10 64-bit system also runs a variety of services like Plex, Tivo server, VNC, PRTG, Dropbox, Onedrive, iCloud

I'll repeat - it seems the problems occur when the BI "console" is run constantly.
Now that you have actually read the help file and understand the difference between a client and the console (instead of proving that you are not very bright by insulting others, when it was you who cannot read), its time to realize that the blue iris CONSOLE cannot and did not corrupt your windows installation. Stop restoring an image and do a clean installation. If that doesnt help you have a hardware issue. My guess is you will refuse to accept reality and keep bitching about how blue iris corrupts your windows install. Well, you might want to look at milestone, exacq or avigilon.
Ill repeat, blue iris did not and more importantly cannot corrupt a windows installation.

Reaction score
I understand your issue only occurs when the BI console is open, however, there is either a hardware issue or software issue on your computer that is causing the computer to crash. I have two BI computers at two separate locations with the BI console open 24/7. One computer hasn't been rebooted in over 60 days and the 2nd one for over 45 days and they both have the BI console open full screen streaming 14 3mp and 4mp cameras 24/7.

When the BI console is open, the computer uses a lot more resources from the CPU and consumes more power. I have a feeling whatever the issue is, it's not being triggered until the system is being stressed.

You forgot to answer my question from my previous post, has any of the equipment from your old computer builds been transferred to your current BI computer? This includes power supplies, DVD drives, UPS, etc.

You stated "I restored the Windows 10 image and never run the "console" except to change a setting." When you restored the Windows 10 image, how did you restore it? Did you create an image after you installed windows 10 on the problem computer and continue to use this image to restore windows after each crash? Windows 10 should have a clean install from either a USB or DVD when the computer is going to be used with BI.

You stated the computer has a 500 watt corsair power supply and it's plugged into the UPS. Whats the model number of the power supply and does it have active PFC (common on most new power supplies). Does your UPS support active PFC? Almost all UPS's do not. APC smart UPS and Cyberpower PFC series UPS are some of the few that do. If you're using a UPS that does not support Active PFC with a power supply that uses Active PFC you can have unpredictable results, including computer crashes and hardware failure.

Also, has the computer crashed with the BI console open since you swapped out the SSD with the 500GB HDD?

billrp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks "smiiticans"

The current system has no DVD. The UPS is an APC Smart about 6 months old, and about 700 VA, but there has not been a power failure or glitch for about 1 year. (There are other PCs that are not on a UPS, and which do not power up after a restore, so we know if there are power interruptions)

The most recent Win-10 install was from scratch - a format of the HDD and then install from thumb drive, then updates. Note this full install was done on about 3 weeks ago and and then again 2 weeks ago on the same system. Also note that I had done either full new formatted installs or restores from Acronis True images several times on each of two other systems, i7-9xx and A8, with various combinations of SSDs - all failing within 4-5 days.

My postings here is to provide some insights for others who might have a similar problem.

Reaction score
After you installed windows, did you go to Gigabyte's website and download the latest motherboard drivers from their website (Realtek HD audio, Intel Management engine, Intel INF, Realtek Lan Driver, Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5, Intel Rapid storage, Intel VGA Driver)? I'ts important to have all of these drivers installed.

Also, in my opinion, I wouldn't be using a sandisk or crucial SSD for a system that needs 24/7 up time. I would use either a Samsung 850 Evo or 850 Pro.

Has the system failed while using the HDD instead of the SSD?

Have you tried running the system without Tight-VNC installed?

billrp

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks again, I'll try the Gigabyte drivers, but generally MB vendors submit those to MS for inclusion in updates. The clean Win-10 install on the Toshiba HDD had failed within 5 days but that was running the console/client/gui continuously. I then did a format and a full clean install, and it's been running fine for 2+ weeks without the BI gui.

Tight-VNC service might be the culprit, but I really need to run that since its convenient. (But I run Tight-VNC servers on about 25 other Win PCs with no problems)

Reaction score
I've found in many cases the motherboard drivers do not download with the windows update. Downloading the motherboard drivers actually solved an issue I had with BI a while ago.

Maybe there is a compatibility issue with BI and Tight-VNC, but the only way to find out is to eliminate it for a while.