Windows 10 Randomly Shuts Down

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So have you ruled out any possible power outages or flickers? Going back over your first post you mention it happens randomly.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have you tried actually monitoring the temps?

The room temp is irrelevent. If the CPU fan has become slighly unseated or the paste perished, then the CPU temp will go through the roof irreepective of room temp and the auto protection will switch the system off. The cure is to remove the CPU heatsink, clean the CPU lid and heatsink bottom, apply new paste and re-seat.

You can't run a memory like that. It needs to be left for hours.

Ditch the Windows tester and download a copy of Memtest 86.

I think they recommend running it overnight. 1.5 passes won't necessarily show the errors and personally I wouldn't trust the Windows tester.

Also, if it's running for hours or days and then rebooting, try monitoring memory usage vs time. It could be you have a version of BI with a memory leak. Symptom will be increasing memory usage until the system runs out and crashes.
Good point. I'll check the CPU temp. Doubt it's a memory leak. I've had that before. Memory and CPU usage is low for the most part.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Beautiful dog
Oh, yes... @ARAMP1 's dog IS beautiful. The dog that shed much of the hair in my photo is also a beautiful, H-U-G-E German Shepherd named "Cujo" but unlike his namesake he is quiet, gentle and very friendly. I'll be there next week and if he's there I'll snap a photo and post it here.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
Might also be worth a look in the bios to see if there are any logs in the bios re hardware related issues.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ah, rack-mount, server-class... and I thought it was a desktop PC.

The rare instances I've been allowed into a data center to watch these machines boot up (on their system console), I see very many messages on startup that do self-checks, ECC RAM verification, etc etc.
Much more than a desktop PC, I tell ya.
(And that's also why they take so much longer to boot up)

And all that indicates no issues whatsoever on your setup?
(Gotta wonder how effective/accurate those startup checks are then...)
Actually, my Blue Iris machine is just a desktop i9-9900K processor, "gaming" motherboard, etc mounted in a supermicro 3U chassis. Nothing special. Although, when I swapped power supplies, I just powered down, slid the old one out and slid the new one in. Much easier/quicker than a desktop.

ARAMP1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I just had the system restart on it's own. Don't know if it's related or totally different. Before, it would just shut off and generate an event in the event viewer. This time, nothing in the event viewer. Time to clean it out and put on new thermal paste.

BORIStheBLADE

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well, I just had the system restart on it's own. Don't know if it's related or totally different. Before, it would just shut off and generate an event in the event viewer. This time, nothing in the event viewer. Time to clean it out and put on new thermal paste.
Windows telling you to buy a new rig. :lmao:

In all honestly I hope its the thermal paste. It's not the best time to try and build a newer PC.