Windows 10 Sucks

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Windows 10 is driving me fucking insane. My Optiplex came today. I made a USB tool for Windows 10, installed the SSD, formatted it and installed the OS to it. Now I can't access the BIOS menu to pick what drive to start first. Has anyone had any similar issues recently? I keep running into Secured Boot menus and UEFI nonsense. This is why I switched to a Mac years ago and haven't looked back :mad-new:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I believe that f12 is the Dell boot menu? For Dell, keep tapping f2 on boot up for BIOS setup.

I bought my first Mac in 1984 and my last Mac in 1995; back to Mac? No thanks.

Warsaws

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Windows 10 is driving me fucking insane. My Optiplex came today. I made a USB tool for Windows 10, installed the SSD, formatted it and installed the OS to it. Now I can't access the BIOS menu to pick what drive to start first. Has anyone had any similar issues recently? I keep running into Secured Boot menus and UEFI nonsense. This is why I switched to a Mac years ago and haven't looked back :mad-new:
Sounds like you may ought to stick to Mac. Windows 10 is great for the vast majority of people but there's a handful of people it doesn't like.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've got a Macbook and lots of Windows Desktops and PCs. Macbook is great for a business laptop. You've got to know it's limitations though and tbh, most Mac users don't.

People who have a Macbook as their only computer. Well that is crazy, I barely understand people who have a normal laptop as their only computer. Most don't realise what you can do with a proper PC is why.

If you only have one computer, it's got to be Windows based.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well I finally figured it out. I'm aware of the Functions keys on start up, and unfortunately it has nothing to do with that. I've looked into it online and it seems like I'm not the only one having issues (if anyone else running Windows 10) can in fact select/modify their boot device order the old fashioned way in the BIOS setup mode, please feel free to explain and provide screen shots (I know it's asking much but from what I've read I'm def not the only one who noticed this).

When using Windows 10, to set the primary OS and Default OS arrives, you need to go into the settings once your actually logged in. It doesn't go thru BIOS anymore at startup. From what I've read it's a been quite a headache and pissing a lot of people off. This link basically shows the Enterprise users can, however most other regular and pro users can't.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/windows-10-enterprise-i-cannot-get-into-the-bios/10562f96-f0c0-496e-927e-711dcb0c1938

Again if anyone has actually modified their boot device setup running Windows 10, please feel free to share. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 7020.

Oh and also if you install a new SSD strictly for OS and BI, like many here have, when u install it from the Media USB u make, it gets even weirder.

You'll install it and once it reboots, because the OS is now on both drives it asks you to select which OS you want to use, whoever it doesn't specify which one is on which drive. It gives u volume numbers. Mine used Volume 4 and Volume 6. The only way u can figure out what is what is to pick, sign in, go to My PC and look at the drives. The one with the currently operating OS has the Windows icon on it.

I'll try and post some screen shots of the things I've talked about later tonight when I get home so maybe someone can give a little bit better advice.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
...If you only have one computer, it's got to be Windows based.
Your painting with a broad brush. It really depends on one's requirements. It depends on the use case. A Mac laptop might be perfect for one person where as another person may require a Windows desktop and laptop. One of the things you're missing is that the Mac system works together. The iPhone, the iPad and Mac desktops all work to gather to sync information. That's a powerful proposition for the average basic Jane or John computer user.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've got a Macbook and lots of Windows Desktops and PCs. Macbook is great for a business laptop. You've got to know it's limitations though and tbh, most Mac users don't.

People who have a Macbook as their only computer. Well that is crazy, I barely understand people who have a normal laptop as their only computer. Most don't realise what you can do with a proper PC is why.

If you only have one computer, it's got to be Windows based.
I have only a Macbook and a i7 Hackintosh Workstations, have not used windows pc this century.. I work for the largest networking company in the world and I know of not a single engineer in the orginization uses a windows machine.. mebe a few sales bots and upper level management use windows, but they dont count as they dont do any real work with a computer.

funny my career took off after I abandoned windows and never looked back.. you shouldent paint such broad brushes, if I did I'd think all you windows users were crazy idiots too.

Reaction score
Well I finally figured it out. I'm aware of the Functions keys on start up, and unfortunately it has nothing to do with that. I've looked into it online and it seems like I'm not the only one having issues (if anyone else running Windows 10) can in fact select/modify their boot device order the old fashioned way in the BIOS setup mode, please feel free to explain and provide screen shots (I know it's asking much but from what I've read I'm def not the only one who noticed this).

When using Windows 10, to set the primary OS and Default OS arrives, you need to go into the settings once your actually logged in. It doesn't go thru BIOS anymore at startup. From what I've read it's a been quite a headache and pissing a lot of people off. This link basically shows the Enterprise users can, however most other regular and pro users can't.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/windows-10-enterprise-i-cannot-get-into-the-bios/10562f96-f0c0-496e-927e-711dcb0c1938

Again if anyone has actually modified their boot device setup running Windows 10, please feel free to share. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 7020.

Oh and also if you install a new SSD strictly for OS and BI, like many here have, when u install it from the Media USB u make, it gets even weirder.

You'll install it and once it reboots, because the OS is now on both drives it asks you to select which OS you want to use, whoever it doesn't specify which one is on which drive. It gives u volume numbers. Mine used Volume 4 and Volume 6. The only way u can figure out what is what is to pick, sign in, go to My PC and look at the drives. The one with the currently operating OS has the Windows icon on it.

I'll try and post some screen shots of the things I've talked about later tonight when I get home so maybe someone can give a little bit better advice.

I have no problem selecting my boot drive in the bios on any of my Windows 10 computers. However, I build all of my own computers and I don't buy Dell (I use Asus, Gigabyte and ASrock Motherboards).

If Windows is fully installed on the new SSD, just unplug the old drive and you shouldn't have an issue booting into Windows.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score

You might have to disable fastshutdown....though I have never had this issue. The OS drive should also always be connected to sata 0. When installing from usb, you can simply remove the usb and restart it...windows will not ask what OS to use since the OS is not installed on the USB drive, only the installation media is on the drive. You may have another drive with another version of windows on it.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
OK - I take it back, just in my experience I can do more things with Windows than I can with OS X. I have both - I'm not Apple bashing, just saying if you have a Mac, know it's limitations!!!!

Yes I do like the way OS X integrates with iPad and iPhone but it's just not compatible enough with non-Apple products IMHO and experience.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You might have to disable fastshutdown....though I have never had this issue. The OS drive should also always be connected to sata 0. When installing from usb, you can simply remove the usb and restart it...windows will not ask what OS to use since the OS is not installed on the USB drive, only the installation media is on the drive. You may have another drive with another version of windows on it.
You can force Windows to boot into the boot menu which you can then choose multiple operating systems. Will this help OP?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You can force Windows to boot into the boot menu which you can then choose multiple operating systems. Will this help OP?
I dont think so...there should only be one OS on his system.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have loaded windows 10 on dozens of machines; I recently loaded it on an SSD as the OS drive. I've never experienced the problems you've described. You're right, windows 10 does suck. But so does iOS on my iPad. iPad iOS doesn't suck just a little bit, it sucks a lot, as it sucks on my wife's iPhone; much the same way Win10 sucks, but it's a different suckage. Like any operating system it has it's advantages and it's advantages. Windows 10 has its advantages and disadvantages. I've never run any of the Linux distributions, but I would surmise that each has advantages and disadvantages. This Mac OS is the only decent operating system is complete rubbish. Mac has a lot of advantages and it has disadvantages. Come to think of it I run QOS in my head and -- although I tend to think that Q should rule the universe -- it too has its advantages and disadvantages.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have loaded windows 10 on dozens of machines; I recently loaded it on an SSD as the OS drive. I've never experienced the problems you've described.
Have u been able to go in and set up the boot drive order? I used the Function keys and went thru all the menus and it's just not there. The closest I found was this Windows Boot Log. I tried to disable it to see if the other options would appear but it gave me all these security error warning so I decided against it. I also ran the diagnostics tests and they were working fine.

Furthermore the HDD that was attached that also had the OS on it isn't the one I'm going to be using for storage, it's just a 500GB that originally had the OS loaded on it. I needed to boot to that drive originally so I could make the Windows 10 Media USB. I also just received the notification earlier that my WD Purple has arrived earlier today so I'm hoping once I get home and get the chance tonight that I can install that, partition it and be good to go. Hopefully that will get rid of all the hiccups.

One question for something that was posted above. The SSD OS drive is currently on Sata 1, the original HDD was on Sata 0. When I go to install the Purple HDD, can I just unplug the SSD from Sata 1 into Sata 0 and then plug Sata 1 into the new drive or will it give me issues?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I dont think so...there should only be one OS on his system.
There might be a way to do this because when i was researching I found some info that basically said the new systems allow for different drives/OS options.

Someone commented that the reason Windows 10 wants control of the Boot sequence is so they are the primary OS on a system. I'm not sure if this is true or just speculation from someone who doesn't like Windows but a few other people commented on it as well and thought it was true.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There might be a way to do this because when i was researching I found some info that basically said the new systems allow for different drives/OS options.

Someone commented that the reason Windows 10 wants control of the Boot sequence is so they are the primary OS on a system. I'm not sure if this is true or just speculation from someone who doesn't like Windows but a few other people commented on it as well and thought it was true.
The OS cannot control the boot sequence. It has always and will always be controlled in the BIOS. You are just having an issue getting into the bios.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The OS cannot control the boot sequence. It has always and will always be controlled in the BIOS. You are just having an issue getting into the bios.
Alright it seems that this UEFI is different the. Traditional BIOS and it takes a much different way to access it now. U basically need to go in thru the OS, into some advanced settings and restart thru there. It seems that this is the only way to get access to the bios settings I need. Here's a video I found on YouTube that explains it a bit.

I'm going to try his tonight after I install the new HDD. Hopefully it does it, I'll keep you posted since I'm sure as more people start using Win10, it'll be needed.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I have seen this on a few laptops I was working on, It started with windows 8.1 , Part of the bios is written to the hard drive from what I believe. That is why it IS really important to make sure you create a boot drive with a thumb drive when the computer is new. If the hard drive ever fails you are in FACT screwed because you cannot access your bios. I had one that had a corrupted hard drive, good thing the factory restore partition was intact and was able to create a boot disk with a usb thumb drive. As a matter of fact I now remember I tried doing it to a DVD and no beans. I think it might have been a Gateway but that was a few years ago. Yea the days of simple computer setups are going bye bye for sure.

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well more bullshit. Installed the WD purple. Put that on Sata 1, the SSD with Windows 10 installed on Sata 0. Tried booting. Nothing. No bootable devices found. And I know Windows 10 is on the SSD because it worked last night.