Windows 10 - Words of wisdom with BI

ruppmeister

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Can't say I've disagreed with much of anything you've posted, Fenderman. But this,

Absolute truth. Never upgrade Windows. It's a pain. Backup everything. Export registry hives for all your software if you must. Hell, even screenshots of settings.
But don't upgrade. And always wait for patches, or even a service pack before going to a new version.
I have been reading rumors that Windows might not be doing service packs any longer. It sounds like the plan might be to release a new OS at the point when a service pack might be warranted. It could be that I am just repeating a bunch of Internet fluff though...

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been reading rumors that Windows might not be doing service packs any longer. It sounds like the plan might be to release a new OS at the point when a service pack might be warranted. It could be that I am just repeating a bunch of Internet fluff though...
I haven't looked into it much but I think its freeness is being tied in some way to forced updates, but again I've not checked. I kind of hate forced updates on cloud-based software (I know Win 10 is not cloud-based, since it is running locally). They've burned me on Chrome and also on my Dropcam when I had that. Without it, any time an update is released for software you let other people beta test and you have a choice to install or not.

Okay here we go: forced updates: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/17/8987549/microsoft-windows-10-automatic-updates

Now on the other hand, MS updates to its OSes have generally been a good idea because they include a bunch of security updates. We'll need to be sure there is a way to ensure it never forces a restart without manually acceptance, though, else the cams go down!

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Some good points. I agree everything *should* be ok, and for a system not running a lot of different programs, no big deal. My comments are based on years and years of corporate experience dating back to before Windows. We have some apps that plain will not run (vendor actually warned us) on win8.x, and some won't work on 10 for a few months, even though they're solid on 7. Not necessarily Window's fault, but something changed enough to be an issue.

If I had a computer running JUST BI, then yeah I'd have no issue upgrading to 10, but apps aside, I have seen stability issues with many major Windows releases.
XP was solid, but not at first release. NT4 wasn't stable until after a couple service packs. And Vista was a train-wreck until SP1.

So, yeah I'll still recommend waiting at least for the first round of patches for any computer that needs to be stable.
Thank for the info, appreciate hearing your experiences with windows. many moons ago, in prior life, we used Lotus Notes. I wouldn't upgrade to current version till I got nasty email from LNotes folks to upgrade. Last time I waited til my manager got involved.