Windows client?

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is it possible to have a dedicated BI machine in my basement and be able to access and control it from a laptop somewhere else? (On same wifi network) From what I can find there is no windows client to do this? It wouldn't seem possible with two separate licenses. How are you folks accessing BI? Really don't want to huddle in my basement viewing and controlling cams?

lcam

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can access BI using a web browser or remote into the BI pc using any number of products.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I just use good old RDP which comes built in to access my BI PC which sits headless in the loft.

Rickoo

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Remote desktop products I've used in the past are laggy and uncomfortable to use. Have they changed in the past several years?

lakeguy55

n3wb
Reaction score
If you use Chrome, Chrome Remote Desktop is reasonable and free. And yes, while they still take getting used to, remote desktop apps are much better than years ago.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While on the subject of RDP, can you stop RDP on the remote machine from logging out of Windows when the client drops the connection?
On my BI machine, in doing so, it results in 10% added cpu usage, until I log back in at the console.

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
While on the subject of RDP, can you stop RDP on the remote machine from logging out of Windows when the client drops the connection?
On my BI machine, in doing so, it results in 10% added cpu usage, until I log back in at the console.
I don’t get this. Checking CPU is usage on the mobile app it hovers between 19-23%, I login and it does jump up to 29-30% but when I then sign out it’s back to 19%.

SecuritySeeker

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Remote desktop products I've used in the past are laggy and uncomfortable to use. Have they changed in the past several years?
I have been using this one for well over 15 years at least, very happy with it:

If your Internet connection is very slow you can manually configure it to use fewer colors which helps a lot but in general this performs extremely well anyway. On a LAN connection you will definitely have absolutely stellar performance with this.

I hate using TeamViewer as it's essentially cloud based and tunnels through your router, hate that sort of thing. With Radmin you get a direct IP to IP connection with no tunneling or whatever. Of course if you need to connect from outside your LAN that means you'd have to open up a port; in the case of Radmin that is not a security risk at all imho at least no more than setting up a VPN. In your case you're connecting within the LAN itself so no ports to open anyway.

Reaction score
I have been using this one for well over 15 years at least, very happy with it:

Thanks for the Radmin info. I have also learned to dislike TeamViewer, so found Radmin to be spectacularly simple, yet efficient.

I now have a headless BI PC sitting in our telecom rack. For general local viewing we use ui3. For specific BI configuration, I will use Radmin.

Next project: Remote access via VPN.
Rick