Windows login problem and reinstalling BI.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm helping a friend who forgot his Microsoft Password to get into his computer. Crazy, but it is what it is. Anyway, it was just installed the other day, and doesn't have anything on it but BI. The problem with that is that we didn't have a chance to do anything to BI. So, if we reinstall Windows 11, we will have to reinstall BI. Is that going to be a problem?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I assume that same PC has any and all records/e-mails that might have the activation key for Blue Iris.
Does he know where BI was purchased?

BTW, from another PC has he tried resetting the forgotten password / PIN on the MS site? That would seem easier to me if he is the legit account holder. I'd try at least once:

Should re-installing Win 11 be the chosen or required route, it can be done WITHOUT creating or using a MS account:

Last edited:

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This was a new/used computer just purchased last week for the BI server. It was supposed to have been reset to a fresh Windows 11 install. Well, he got BI installed and then realized he needed to add his microsoft acct. as admin. Well, he did something wrong I guess, and I'm trying to help get it fixed. I did find out last night that as long as he had the email with the download and key, he would be fine. I'm resetting W11 today for him.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, definitely.
Well, we chose not to for his server. What is the advantage? I just don't know for sure what it is.
I did it for my server and for another couple servers I did, but he said let's just keep it with Microsoft Acct.

I got it all done, but installing BI when I go to startup tab and to check run as windows service, it puts his first name (Chris) in and not the name he uses to sign in with (his first and last name). I try putting it in but it won't accept it. I've never had that problem before. Is that one of the advantages with not have a MS account? I'll keep trying to get something to work, but since I have never encountered this before, I am not sure what to do.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, we chose not to for his server. What is the advantage? I just don't know for sure what it is.
The advantage is he wouldn't be locked out of his PC.
Is that one of the advantages with not have a MS account?
Yes.
I am not sure what to do.
  • Perform a clean install of Windows using the MS Media Creation Tool on a USB flash drive.
  • Create a LOCAL Account, not a MS account, by following the second linked instructions in my post #2.
  • Install and activate Blue Iris.
  • Write down passwords or PIN's in a place where they can be easily located by the person that needs them!

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well, I got it to work. It put his first name (chris) and I just used the password he used to sign into his MS account with. So, I got it to work.

Do you still think I should reinstall it again and do a clean install? I have the USB drive ready. Will BI work better with a local instead of a MS account setup? I'm helping him out, and this takes some time is all.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great!

I would but it's your time, your call.....and if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Yes.
Oh, it is an EliteDesk 800 G5 i7 9700. Shouldn't Windows be tied to the motherboard? That is one thing I'm not sure of before I do a clean install. And I'm pretty sure it didn't come with windows 11 installed when new, not positive though.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How will it work better? I'm not questioning, just curious? Thanks for helping.
MS will upload/download tons of crap that will slow down the PC and lower your bandwidth....all so they can keep an eye on where you go, what you look at, etc. And no, I'm not a conspiracy nut wearing a tinfoil hat....it's just unnecessary, they want to send you target ads and info based on your usage...it's all about money (for them) and does you little, if any, good.

ingeborgdot

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
MS will upload/download tons of crap that will slow down the PC and lower your bandwidth....all so they can keep an eye on where you go, what you look at, etc. And no, I'm not a conspiracy nut wearing a tinfoil hat....it's just unnecessary, they want to send you target ads and info based on your usage...it's all about money (for them) and does you little, if any, good.
What about if I made a local account on the PC and then sign in using that local account not associated with MS? Or will that even make a difference???

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What about if I made a local account on the PC and then sign in using that local account not associated with MS? Or will that even make a difference???
A Local acconut doesn't have anything to do with MS. I don't know any other way to state it but I'll say again:
  • Local account: I recommend, no "sign in" needed unless you put a password on it.
  • MS Account: I do NOT recommend
Your choice! :cool:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Windows that comes installed on a computer is loaded with manufacturer bloatware. Simply refreshing/reinstalling with either their CDs or what is on the drive results in the same bloatware being put on.

Using Media Creation Tool installs the cleanest version of Microsoft that is free from manufacturer bloatware. Sure MS throws some of their stuff on it, but that would be their regardless.

Use the 2nd option to create a USB drive and boot the computer from that. The Windows key is baked into the BIOS so no need to try to find it.