Windows update BI annoyances

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I saw some thread in the past few weeks on similar issues, but I figured I'd put my experience here in case it helps someone.

My BI PC (Win 10 pro) has updates paused for up to 35 days using the windows update advanced setting to pause updates. Of course, this was going to expire while I am away on a trip so I unpaused the update and let it happen (the big spring update) while I was here to babysit.

Good thing I did this.

After the update completed, BI no worky by app or UI3. Uggh.

I remoted into the PC, and ran BI. It asked for my registration key details. Ugggh. I plugged those in and it was nice again. Tested app and UI3 on my desktop, it worked. I disconnected remote session and went about my business.

Bit later I wanted to check something on camera and found it not working again. Ugggh! Yadda yadda yadda, it was no longer set to run as a service. I checked the run as service box again, logged back out, and for the moment things seem OK.

Just be warned this annoying update doesn't play well with BI. The problems themselves are trivial if you know what to do, but I wonder why this stuff happens...

Good luck all.

Updates paused again (of course, they are set to expire right when I am on vacation...)

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I manage our company’s Win10 workstations. MS updates. Argh.

Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war ☠

Abula

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This is the main reason i havent moved my BI server to windows 10, and more now with how the fall creators and spring creators break stuff. Im going to stick with windows 7 on BI until BI don't support 7.

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
install win 10 machines behind a pfsense router.. then set a rule to block access to the internet.. then make a rule to allow 1 port outbound to the internet if you want to see cameras remotely.. So win10 cant talk to microsoft.. if your worried about virus defintions then from another computer go to MS page with the def's then update manually

done

kriskross

n3wb
Reaction score
I remoted into the PC, and ran BI. It asked for my registration key details. Ugggh. I plugged those in and it was nice again. Tested app and UI3 on my desktop, it worked. I disconnected remote session and went about my business.

Bit later I wanted to check something on camera and found it not working again. Ugggh! Yadda yadda yadda, it was no longer set to run as a service. I checked the run as service box again, logged back out, and for the moment things seem OK.
I really appreciate this information, it saved me some debugging time. Another problem I seem to have: the Intel Display Adapter was completely removed (I had it set to block the Intel updates), and my Display was set to the generic windows default, so when I access via Teamviewer, I get a very low-res picture that shows about a quarter of the full screen. Till trying to fix that one...

tygger

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Feel your pain. Win updates always have a way of screwing something up... I disable auto updates by configuring the local group policy.

kriskross

n3wb
Reaction score
Another problem I seem to have: the Intel Display Adapter was completely removed (I had it set to block the Intel updates), and my Display was set to the generic windows default, so when I access via Teamviewer, I get a very low-res picture that shows about a quarter of the full screen. Till trying to fix that one...
If it helps anyone else, it looks like my Windows Update was incomplete because I had blocked the Intel driver updates through the Group Policy Editor (as detailed here). Guess Windows ignored the group policy enough to delete my drivers but then couldn't restore them. I had to disable the policy so I could fix the driver (and then Windows sneakily beat me to it so I had to roll back the driver again). To save someone some time, here's a thread with the Intel driver rollback solution: BI running VERY high CPU 95%+ (see Pic)).

micropone

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
if you have pfsense block all inbound connections from microsoft.. my home system is blocked outbound and inbound to the internet...