Wireless Camera Pole Install

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice! Does the box house the POE switch for the cams and passive POE injector + power supply for the UBNT?

Now if only the birds won't perch atop that box; I had to put stainless steel anti-bird spikes atop a similar install in N. CA.; the pigeons (flying rats, I call 'em) could muck it up BAD in just a short time.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That should be rock solid.

Are you using the camera mounts because the cam's have a larger base diameter than the cross section of the pole?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the camera mounts because the cam's have a larger base diameter than the cross section of the pole?
@hook3m has his answer and his reasons, but I'll wager it's because the pigtail to the cams is not weather resistant at the connector, is not meant for exposure to the elements and is too short anyway to make it into the box...that's why I mount them similarly as he has done.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a question because I do it differently.

BTW never met any material that a Bosch mandrel and hole saw cannot cut a circle as good as a waterjet.

Please allow me to learn.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question because I do it differently.

BTW never met any material that a Bosch mandrel and hole saw cannot cut a circle as good as a waterjet.
Please elaborate and clarify....are you saying that you would have cut holes in this pole for the wiring and not used junctions boxes for the cameras?

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Absolutely. If the base diameter of the cameras is <than cross section, I would have mounted directly, hence my question about diameters and cross section.

Just one less potential point of failure.

A greater cross section of pole is not expensive.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It would be your cams, your pole and your install, so you could and should do it as you see fit which is fine.

That being said, I have never had a camera with pigtails long enough to make it into a box where it's to be terminated or connected. I also would not want the cam plugged into anything that is inside of a pole that I cannot access relatively easily.

Also, I have never had a camera with a pigtail made to resist exposure to the elements (rain, UV, wind, bugs, etc.) so it merits protection by some method.

Boxes are cheap, cheaper than poles and themselves are not prone to failure...they're just a box. They allow the placing of the mandatory connection(s) within a protected environment which is easily accessible...in my opinion.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Mate, I wasn't asking you. I wanted it straight from the OP.

We all have our own skill sets and that is why I was asking the OP.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks.

Hopefully the OP can explain, rather than speculate their decisions.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Nice! Does the box house the POE switch for the cams and passive POE injector + power supply for the UBNT?

Now if only the birds won't perch atop that box; I had to put stainless steel anti-bird spikes atop a similar install in N. CA.; the pigeons (flying rats, I call 'em) could muck it up BAD in just a short time.
Yes, inside the box is a POE switch and the power supply for the Ubiquiti Nano. Bird spikes is a good idea. I will add those this weekend. I decided to mount the box above the cameras since it's located next to a basketball court in a problem neighborhood park.

That should be rock solid.

3 reasons, the cameras are wider than the pole (camera 5", pole 4"), using a junction box provides better weather protection for the connectors, and the junction box has hooks to hang the camera from so they don't fall when you working and 12 feet up ladder. .

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks hook3m, explains a lot.

I don't recognise those cams but here they would be great for business if they were within hurling distance of basketball armed teens :)

Where I am, those junction boxes would cost more than using a taller and thicker gauge "pole".

What height are the cams because I would use bird spikes facing down the pole as well as on top?

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks hook3m, explains a lot.

I don't recognise those cams but here they would be great for business if they were within hurling distance of basketball armed teens :)

Where I am, those junction boxes would cost more than using a taller and thicker gauge "pole".

What height are the cams because I would use bird spikes facing down the pole as well as on top?
Junction boxes are cheap, around $10 each and were included in the job quote so cost wasn't an issue. The height of the pole sticking out of the ground is 15 feet. Cameras are at 12 and 13 feet.

SquareEyes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ah, short pole therefore small cross section, due to wind loads.

Couldn't do that here. My brother standing on my shoulders could make short work of that.

Guessing from the angle of the cameras that the pole is a fair distance from the court.

Is the pole covered by other cams?

PS cost is never an issue but margin is.

Last edited:

Travieso

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great Install ! I got something similar install coming up, do you think its possible that you could provide me a little more info about that custom enclosure box? possibly a link would be great, How's the power going in to that pole? can you take some inside pictures,

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Great Install ! I got something similar install coming up, do you think its possible that you could provide me a little more info about that custom enclosure box? possibly a link would be great, How's the power going in to that pole? can you take some inside pictures,
Here is the link to the box:
FRP NEMA 14x12x7 w/ 120VAC, FAN, SS

Power comes up through the center of the pole and is fed by 3/4" PVC conduit.