Wireless IP Camera Recommendations

UkiwiS

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi there

I found this forum today while doing some research.

I'd like to install a WIFI capable IP camera so that I can view the local airport and weather conditions at home. I'd like to install it under my eaves so it will be outdoors but semi-protected under a 3 foot overhang. I live in San Diego so I doubt any rain would get to it. In that location I believe I can easily get power to it from one of the nearby balcony lights and my WIFI signal should be OK in that location. I'd like to spend as little as possible (Under $250 if possible) and would like some recommendations from the experts here on doing that.

Does anyone have a similar type of setup?

TIA
KIWI

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I know of a few folks that have installed the Hikvision DS-2CD2432F-IW outside under an overhang or a covered porch. It should be ok as long as water won't get to it. You can pick these up on aliexpress for <$100, or you can even find one on Amazon with prime shipping for $126.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JWCV9CU

You should be aware that the camera will probably be a camera that was intended for the Chinese market, and will have firmware that has been modified to allow it to provide a multi-language interface, instead of Chinese only. Attempting to load different firmware on it would likely cause it to revert to Chinese language only, or could possibly brick the camera. You can find lots of posts related to this in the Hikvision sub forum. http://www.ipcamtalk.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Hikvision

I have 4 of these cameras (all china region cameras) and really like them.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

UkiwiS

n3wb
Reaction score
I ordered one of these for a play using Amazon Prime free 1 day delivery so I'll get it today. woohoo.

Is the WIFI reliable or am I better to go with a POE injector? I've never used one of these and I know very little about them. With a POE injector do I need a cable run all the way to my router or can I use it with a power-line adapter?

digger11

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've run two of these on WiFi for months without issue, but running with wired Ethernet is always the preferred network connection.

You have a few choices available here. What will be best for you depends on where you want to install it, and how close that location is to power, Ethernet, and/or the WiFi access point.

From a technical standpoint, the best choice is to connect it via wired Ethernet and power it via POE. That way it will have the best network connection, and the installation location does not have to be near power. There will also only be a single wire connected to the camera, the cat5 cable. The down side is that you need either a POE switch or a POE injector, and running cat5 to the desired location may not be easy.

From an ease of installation standpoint, connecting via WiFi, and powering via a 12VDC wall wart is very convenient, as long as the installation location is near an AC outlet. But if the installation location isn't near power, or if WiFi coverage in that location is poor, this isn't a good choice. In addition, the camera does not come with an AC adapter, so unless you have one laying around that will work, you'll need to buy one.

If you have wired Ethernet and AC power at the installation location you can connect the camera to AC power and wired Ethernet. Again you'd need a wall wart, and you'd have 2 wires going to the camera, but this may be cheaper than POE, and should be as reliable as any other choice would be.

If the installation location has access to power, but WiFi coverage is unacceptable, and you can't get cat5 to that location, you'd probably have to resort to either a powerline adapter or a WiFi extender. The specifics of the situation would dictate which of those technologies would be the better choice.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hikvision wireless is ok but the range isn't the best. How far are you looking at going?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hikvision wireless cams are the best I have found in terms of wireless, but I also have the best wifi router that I could get for longer reach (Netgear R8000). All my cams run in wifi as you can see in the signature below -IWS As far as which wifi cam to get, it depends.

I've been using these wifi cameras for almost 2 years and back then they were the best:
2432 is indoor cam, but I have used it outdoors. The IR is weak to cover large area.
2412 is 1.3MP camera is night quality is better, but less detail
2532 is outdoor mini dome. It's worse at night then the two above

Since your budget is high, I would recommend getting the new 4MP/2MP cameras or more specifically ds-2cd2142fwd-iws (which I recently got as well), the image quality is better especially at night pricewise is around $150 for dome (it's English version that you can easily upgrade firmware)

Keep in mind though that at 4MP you will not be able to run this smoothly on wifi at highest possible setting and also it depends how far you are from the router

Where I bought mine:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-hikvision-4mp-ds-new-ds-2cd2142fwd-iws-dome-ip-camera-poe-onvif-full-hd/32430154510.html

UkiwiS

n3wb
Reaction score
What's the trick to getting motion detection recording working? I believe I've configured it properly and can record using liveview....nothing I try seems to get it recording when motion is detected. It is very frustrating!