Wireless Monitor

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
I am trying to setup a camera monitor in my house and the location of the monitor would make it difficult to hard wire so I am looking at wireless options. I like the idea of using a tv with a fire tv box to access ui3 using the silk browser. I have a dual nic setup. I am really new to networking and I followed the dual nic setup guide in the wiki and it works great. But my understanding is very limited and I’m not sure if this would even work.

Is it possible to add an AP to my cam network on the 2nd nic to allow the tv to access ui3?

I know this will work on my normal internet connected WiFi network but I want to know if it’s possible on my cam network that does not have any internet connection.
Maybe I’m being paranoid about security. Are there any concerns with having a 24/7 monitor accessing ui3 on my normal WiFi network? Would this pose any unwanted exposure to hacking?
I have an old netgear ac router that I could turn into an AP. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

Reaction score
I am trying to setup a camera monitor in my house and the location of the monitor would make it difficult to hard wire so I am looking at wireless options. I like the idea of using a tv with a fire tv box to access ui3 using the silk browser. I have a dual nic setup. I am really new to networking and I followed the dual nic setup guide in the wiki and it works great. But my understanding is very limited and I’m not sure if this would even work.

Is it possible to add an AP to my cam network on the 2nd nic to allow the tv to access ui3?

I know this will work on my normal internet connected WiFi network but I want to know if it’s possible on my cam network that does not have any internet connection.
Maybe I’m being paranoid about security. Are there any concerns with having a 24/7 monitor accessing ui3 on my normal WiFi network? Would this pose any unwanted exposure to hacking?
I have an old netgear ac router that I could turn into an AP. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
UI3 will be based off Blue Iris, which should be on your NIC1 card connected to your main network. You are good.
Silk Browser has issues (from what I have read). I use Chrome. Which has some issues but not shabby. 24/7 UI3 = no more, no less hackable.

Seth01123

n3wb
Reaction score
That’s great, I’ll look into installing chrome on the fire tv. And having it connected with the regular WiFi will be less work for me so that sounds good. Are there any bandwidth concerns when streaming over my regular WiFi network? I have three cams, one 2mp and two 4mp.

Reaction score
That’s great, I’ll look into installing chrome on the fire tv. And having it connected with the regular WiFi will be less work for me so that sounds good. Are there any bandwidth concerns when streaming over my regular WiFi network? I have three cams, one 2mp and two 4mp.
I believe with that many cameras you are good. I have over 20 and I am good

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
When streaming with UI3, the number of cameras is not relevant to bandwidth usage at all. If you use one of the "VBR" profiles in UI3 then the bandwidth usage is normally quite small, well below 1 Mbps typically.

Reaction score
Are there any bandwidth concerns when streaming over my regular WiFi network? I have three cams, one 2mp and two 4mp.
You should not have any problems. I use a dual NIC on the BI PC and on my office desktop. I run the UI3 on that office PC. I have 23 cams recording 24/7 in BI. I typically have six on the UI3 display covering my LPR and a couple of front cams. I have UI3 set to 5fps and when I bring up a single cam that is either at 15 or 20fps depending on the cam. I am hardwired on both machines.

When nothing is happening and I am just viewing the six cams at 5fps in UI3, my throughput is 1.5Mbps. If I select a single cam the throughput goes up to 2.0Mbps.