Wireless NVR with wired cameras

Sd2000

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if there is an option for a wireless NVR to be used with wired cameras? Meaning running the cameras lines to the NVR and the NVR being connected to the WiFi. Thanks.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It depends, as there are MANY variables. If the NVR and cams are designed from the get-go to be wireless only and work together, then many wireless NVR's use a proprietary signal between it and the wireless camera (and the designed max number of channels is can support is generally limited due mainly to bandwidth and CPU capability. I have some questions:
  1. What is the brand and model of NVR?
  2. Does the NVR have an Ethernet (LAN) port?
  3. Are the prospective cams POE or are they powered by a external wall-wart?
  4. Do you know the current IP of the NVR and if so, can you log into it with a browser on a PC that's on the same network segment / subnet?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have two Dahua PoE NVR's running via Wifi extender with cameras plugged into them.

Router>Wifi Extender>Hardwired to Switch>Hardwired to NVR1 and NVR2 LAN ports

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if there is an option for a wireless NVR to be used with wired cameras? Meaning running the cameras lines to the NVR and the NVR being connected to the WiFi. Thanks.
Hi @Sd2000

Do you already have this WiFi NVR? If so

Check and see if the WiFi NVR has an interface to add cameras from the LAN side.