Wiring for 12v IR?

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've been testing new POE cams around my property. I'm feeling like in some situations I may need to supplement the IR with something I saw posted on this forum: IR Flood

So before I go wire up the house with Cat6 and POE for my cameras.. I'm wondering what's the typical way folks are wiring for powering devices like linked above that take 12v DC 1A power.

So where needed.. I'd like to wire that at the same time I do the Cat6.

Curious how best to approach this?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah.. so in working on my googlefu... and searching on better terms... I'm finding I should be able to use a POE Splitter like this: POE Splitter

I have a TP-Link Gigabit POE switch with POE+ or IEEE802.3at

So the splitter will provide the 12v DC 1amp power I need for the light... while also supplying enough juice for a Dahua Turret @ ~13Watt (but likely not a PTZ)... correct?

pepperfr

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So the splitter will provide the 12v DC 1amp power I need for the light... while also supplying enough juice for a Dahua Turret @ ~13Watt (but likely not a PTZ)... correct?
I'm not sure the POE Splitter will supply any power to your Dahua camera. I think the power is "split" out to the barrel plug, but no power is supplied to the RJ-45 male connector.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I can't speak for every POE splitter out there. The ones I know about do not send power out on the network cable to the camera. You're supposed to use a splitter cable on the 12 volt output to power the camera and LED light from 12 volts. The splitter you linked to doesn't state this explicity, leading me to assume there's no power on the network output cable. This particular splitter doesn't have enough output power for even the 13 watt camera. There are possible solutions like running a separate power wire for the LED light or using the 4 normally unused wires in the network cable. For the cleanest solution, maybe there's a good higher power splitter out there somebody can point out.

Revlus

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, so sounds like I can do this:

1 camera
1 mic
1 IR Flood

2 Cat 6 with POE+

1 POE+ goes to the camera (and I can use turret, bullet, PTZ, whatever works with the POE+ or 802.3at standard)
1 POE+ has a poe splitter on it, with a y-adapter to power both the Mic and the IR Flood.

Found a POE+ splitter that'll do 12Volts and 2amps.. which works out to 24watts of power... enough to supply the Microseven Mic and a 1Amp IR Flood and just need a 12v dc y-adapter.

I might not use that flood... still determining view angles and distance needed...

Think this works?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.